David Ortiz underwent a third surgery to address complications stemming from the gunshot wound he suffered at a bar in his native Dominican Republic more than a month ago, his wife Tiffany said in a statement Thursday.
Tiffany Ortiz said her husband was back in surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital earlier this week, but she did not specify the nature of the procedure.
“David is recovering well and is in good spirits,” she said in the statement, which was released by the Boston Red Sox. “We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion shown to David and to our entire family during this difficult time.”
Ortiz was shot in the back while he was at a bar in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic, on June 9. He was rushed to a local hospital, where he underwent one surgical procedure, before the Red Sox arranged to have him transported to Boston to receive additional care. He had a second successful surgeryafter arriving at Massachusetts General on June 11.
Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.
Dominican authorities have said Ortiz, 43, was mistakenly shot in what they have characterized as a hit gone wrong. Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez said late last month that Sixto David Fernandez, a friend of Ortiz’s who was sitting next to him on the night of the shooting, was the intended target.
At least 11 suspects had been arrested in connection with the shooting as of last month, including the man whom authorities said ordered the killing, Víctor Hugo Gómez. Ortiz led the Red Sox to three World Series championships, was a 10-time All-Star and hit 541 home runs.
The Red Sox retired his number, 34, in 2017, and a bridge and a stretch of road outside Fenway Park are named after him.
Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.