Nasser Al-Khelaifi is at the centre of a TV rights deal storm, after Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings against the Paris-Saint Germain chairman.
Switzerland’s attorney general has opened the case against the Qatari businessman over concerns that he attempted to bribe ex-FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke for the rights to show the World Cup on BeIn Sports – the broadcasting company at which that Al-Khelaifi is chief executive.
Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.
Prosecutors claim that Valcke accepted the bribes from Al-Khelaifi with the intention of awarding media rights to “certain countries” for the World Cups due to be held in 2026 and 2030.
Last year, The Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG) said it was investigating Valcke for “various acts of criminal mismanagement”. That case is still ongoing. The second investigation that which relates to Al-Khelaifi is being conducted in partnership with authorities in France, Greece, Italy and Spain, and was opened in March 2017, the OAG said.
It added that its representatives had interviewed Valcke in Switzerland as a suspect on Thursday.
The proceeding against Al-Khelaifi is one of the first direct links to Qatar in sweeping investigations by authorities in the United States, France and Switzerland of FIFA, international football, and the 2018-2022 World Cup bidding contests. Al-Khelaifi’s profile has risen in recent months as PSG pursued and sealed a world-record transfer of Brazil star Neymar from Barcelona for €220 million.
Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.