Tagged in: Brooks Koepka

Brooks Koepka’s caddie tests positive

Brooks Koepka has withdrawn from the Travelers Championship after his caddie, Ricky Elliott, tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

The pro golfer, 30, told Golfweek that Elliott tested positive for the virus on Wednesday morning at the TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Connecticut.

“I’m going to pull out to protect everybody else. I think it’s the right thing to do,” Koepka said. “I don’t want to risk anyone’s life if they have respiratory issues or underlying conditions. The only way this tour can continue is if guys to do this sort of thing and be proactive about it.”

Koepka, Elliott, and Koepka’s coach Claude Harmon III all were originally tested for COVID-19 as a precaution after playing a practice round with Graeme McDowell, whose caddie, Ken Comboy, had tested positive.

“We all got tested Monday—myself, Claude and Ricky. We all came back negative,” Koepka said. “We had no symptoms. Nothing.”

However, Elliott’s additional test on Wednesday came out positive, which led Koepka to immediately withdraw from the Travelers Championship. “Ricky has my full support in this. I feel bad for him,” Koepka said. “We have got to do everything we can to not spread it. We have to protect the field. That’s the reason we have these rules.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Koepka stated he and his team have been on strict lockdown during the first three events back on tour, staying together with a chef in rented homes and leaving only to go to the golf course or get tested.

The only occasion on which someone left from isolation was on Monday, June 15, when Elliott joined McDowell and Comboy at the funeral of a close friend in Orlando.

McDowell, 40, told Golfweek that Comboy now thinks he may have been exposed to the virus during a commercial flight he took two days earlier on June 13 from Dallas to Orlando after the Charles Schwab Challenge.

Koepka said that he and his girlfriend Jena Sims, as well as his chef, are all being tested for coronavirus Wednesday at the golf course. Based on the results, he will decide whether to return home to Jupiter, Florida, or quarantine in Connecticut.

The PGA Tour has since put in place a health and safety plan that forces any player who tests positive to be “immediately isolated” for a minimum of 10 days “after the positive test and no subsequent symptoms or two negative test results at least 24 hours apart.”

The tour said that 369 players, caddies and essential personnel were all tested on-site before the RBC Heritage initiated, and none tested positive.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Brooks Koepka to pull out of Presidents Cup due to knee injury

Brooks Koepka has withdrawn from the Presidents Cup due to a knee injury he suffered last month in South Korea.

He has been substituded in the competition by Rickie Fowler.

Koepka is the No 1 player in the world and was the leading qualifier for the Presidents Cup, which will be played between December 12 and 15 at Royal Melbourne in Australia.

He previously pulled out of the CJ Cup last month with the same ailment.

Koepka said at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open earlier this fall that he had a procedure done on his left knee following the 2018-19 PGA Tour season.

“It wasn’t technically surgery; it was stem cell,” he stated, “Got to go in there and inject it. I was watching it on the screen as they were doing it, and it was probably one of the most painful things. I was screaming when they did it.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“I limped out of there. I was limping for probably two, three days after, and then it’s just about trying to grow the muscles around it. Try to get strong again, rest it. That’s kind of how we went with it, doing a little rehab. The important thing was to not walk with a limp. Those three days you’re kind of off your feet. And at the same time, enjoy your offseason.”

Koepka may have enjoyed his offseason, but he probably hasn’t enjoyed his start to this new campaing. He followed a missed cut at the Shriners with that WD at the CJ Cup and now has bowed out of the Presidents Cup.

It’s a disconcerting trend for the No. 1 player in the world. The U.S. — despite losing probably the best player on their side — still a heavy favorite to beat the International team at Royal Melbourne in three weeks.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.