Tagged in: cornerback

Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph will enter free agency

The Houston Texans and Johnathan Joseph have reciprocally agreed that the veteran cornerback will enter free agency, the team informed Wednesday.

Joseph, 35, has spent the past nine campaigns with the Texans. He had 51 tackles, 13 pass breakups and one interception in 14 matches last season.

“Johnathan has been a consummate professional, team captain and one of the leaders of our defense for the past nine years. It is rare for a player to sustain such a high level of play for over a decade and that says so much about him and his dedication to the game,” the Texans said in a statement.

“He is an exceptional teammate, mentor, husband and father. His impact on and off the field makes him quite possibly the most celebrated free agent signing in franchise history. The entire Houston Texans organization thanks Johnathan for the contributions he made to our team and the Houston community. We wish him and his family all the best as he pursues free agency.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

In 2019, Joseph played fewer than 60% of Houston’s snaps — the lowest percentage of his career — because starting Week 13, he did not play regularly. In 2018, he played more than 75% of the team’s snaps.

After the Texans lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in the divisional round of the playoffs, Joseph said he’s not thinking about retirement.

Joseph has been selected to two Pro Bowls in 14 NFL seasons and has 31 interceptions, 195 passes defensed, 7 forced fumbles and 754 tackles in his career.

Joseph has proven he can still start for a NFL team, but will likely have to wait until the second wave of free agency to get that chance. 

The Texans have just Andre Johnson and Bob McNair in their “Ring of Honor.” There’s an excellent chance Joseph will join them someday.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Jets to release CB Trumaine Johnson

Trumaine Johnson’s time with the New York Jets is done, in a surprise to absolutely no one. 

The team has informed Johnson, their high-paid cornerback, that he will be released in the upcoming days, a source confirmed. 

The move likely won’t be made official until the CBA situation is clarified for next year. The Jets must cut him by the third day of the new league year (March 20), when his contract becomes fully guaranteed.

Johnson leaves the Jets near the very top of a long list of terrible free agency signings– a reminder of how difficult it can be to rebuild a crew by throwing big contracts at big problems as they go into general manager Joe Douglas’ first free agency with the team next week. 

The New York Daily News first reported Johnson had been informed of his release.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

When the Jets signed Johnson to a five-year, $72.5 million deal just two years ago, they thought they were getting one of the best available cornerbacks on the market and their lock-down answer on the outside. Instead, they got an underperforming player who was burned repeatedly, committed brutal penalties in key spots, couldn’t stay healthy and became a distraction off the field. 

He was benched during the final match of his first campaign for tardiness and early in his second season for poor play. 

In the end, Johnson played only 17 matches in two seasons for the Jets, while collecting $34 million. Yes, that’s $2 million per game.

And while he’s gone, he certainly will not be forgotten. By moving on, the Jets might save only $3 million and carry $12 million of dead money into next season if the CBA stays the same. 

Under a new CBA, they would be able to spread the dead money over two seasons saving them some more space.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.