Tagged in: domestic violence

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has administrative leave extended to July 27

The administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has been extended by nearly two weeks to July 27, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

The move pushes Bauer’s leave past a scheduled July 23 hearing for a domestic violence restraining order filed by a woman in L.A. County Superior Court.

Major League Baseball and the Pasadena Police Department are conducting separate investigations into Bauer after the woman said in the order that he choked her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters this year, the last of which happened on May 16 at Bauer’s Pasadena, California, home.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Bauer’s representatives issued a statement denying that Bauer had assaulted the woman, calling the encounters “wholly consensual.”

Bauer is required to attend next week’s hearing, but he has the right to not testify on his own behalf.

It’s the third time Bauer’s leave has been extended; the first two times were by seven-day increments. The Major League Baseball Players Association also needed to provide consent for the leave to be extended.

If the MLBPA hadn’t consented to another extension, the league would have faced a difficult decision of either letting Bauer back on the active roster while criminal charges are being investigated or prematurely handing out punishment.

While on leave, Bauer continues to get paid by the Dodgers, from whom he is receiving around $1.5 million per week.

The Dodgers previously canceled Bauer’s bobblehead night, arranged for Aug. 19, and have removed his merchandise from team and online stores, saying they “did not feel it was appropriate” given the investigations.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Yankees´ Domingo German gets 81 game ban for violation domestic violence policy

New York Yankees pitcher Domingo German has been given an 81-game suspension for violating the MLB domestic violence policy, commissioner Rob Manfred announced Thursday.

German, who had already been placed on administrative leave for the last 18 games of the 2019 season, including nine postseason games, will sit out the first 63 games of the 2020 season.

German was put on administrative leave on Sept. 19 while MLB investigated alleged domestic violence involving his girlfriend, with whom he has at least one child.

“My office has completed its investigation into the allegations that Domingo German violated Major League Baseball’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy,” Manfred said in a statement. “Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. German violated our Policy and that discipline is appropriate.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

German will not appeal the discipline, which also includes participation in an evaluation and treatment program supervised by MLB’s Joint Policy Board.

He also has agreed to make a contribution to Sanctuary for Families, a New York City-based nonprofit organization dedicated to aiding victims of domestic violence.

“We remain steadfast in our support of Major League Baseball’s investigative process and the disciplinary action taken regarding Domingo German,” the Yankees said in a statement issued Thursday. “Domestic violence — in any form — is a gravely serious matter that affects every segment of our society.

Major League Baseball has taken the lead in our industry to make domestic violence awareness and prevention a priority, and we will continue to back those efforts. We are encouraged by Domingo’s acceptance of his discipline, and we sincerely hope this indicates a commitment to making a meaningful and positive change in his personal conduct.”

Because German already sat out the 2019 postseason, he will be eligible for the 2020 postseason, sources told ESPN’s Buster Olney.

He is not eligible to participate in spring training games prior to next season, however.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.