Tagged in: extended

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has administrative leave extended through Aug. 13

The administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer was extended a fourth time on Thursday, this time by an extra seven days through Aug. 13, according to a league official.

A civil hearing for the temporary restraining order that was acquired against Bauer will start three days after that in L.A. Superior Court. The hearing, which was twice granted a continuance at the request of Bauer’s legal team, is scheduled for Aug. 16-19. That means Bauer’s leave might have to be extended at least once more, unless MLB or the City of Pasadena (California) Police Department wrap up their investigations before then.

MLB can unilaterally place a player on administrative leave for up to seven days under a joint domestic violence policy, but it must obtain consent by the MLB Players Association thereafter. Bauer hasn’t been with the Dodgers since initially being placed on leave July 2.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Bauer, 30, has been accused by a woman of choking her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters earlier this year, according to a domestic violence restraining order that was filed in L.A. County Superior Court on June 28, copies of which were obtained by ESPN.

The temporary restraining order was executed ex parte, which can be attained without input from the other party.

Bauer’s side has strongly denied the allegations of sexual assault, calling the interactions between him and the woman “wholly consensual” and saying in a prior statement that Bauer “vehemently denies her account of their two meetings.”

The initial hearing to decide whether the temporary restraining order would become permanent took place July 23 and was delayed an additional six business days after Bauer’s attorneys demanded more time to prepare a defense against witnesses and exhibits they claimed to not have received until the night before the hearing. A continuance was obtained once again on July 29.

Bauer attended the initial hearing, as did the woman. Bauer’s legal team told the judge that it has advised him not to testify, given the ongoing investigation, but the petitioner’s side stated that he must nonetheless take the stand, even if he invokes his Fifth Amendment right not to answer questions. Both sides will call a total of up to 10 witnesses.

The Dodgers, who traded for Max Scherzer last week and signed Cole Hamels on Wednesday, have canceled Bauer’s bobblehead night and have removed all of his merchandise from the team and online stores, saying they “did not feel it was appropriate” given the investigations.

Bauer, the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner as a member of the Cincinnati Reds, joined the Dodgers with a record-setting three-year, $102 million contract in February that incorporates two opt-out clauses.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has administrative leave extended to July 27

The administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has been extended by nearly two weeks to July 27, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

The move pushes Bauer’s leave past a scheduled July 23 hearing for a domestic violence restraining order filed by a woman in L.A. County Superior Court.

Major League Baseball and the Pasadena Police Department are conducting separate investigations into Bauer after the woman said in the order that he choked her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters this year, the last of which happened on May 16 at Bauer’s Pasadena, California, home.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Bauer’s representatives issued a statement denying that Bauer had assaulted the woman, calling the encounters “wholly consensual.”

Bauer is required to attend next week’s hearing, but he has the right to not testify on his own behalf.

It’s the third time Bauer’s leave has been extended; the first two times were by seven-day increments. The Major League Baseball Players Association also needed to provide consent for the leave to be extended.

If the MLBPA hadn’t consented to another extension, the league would have faced a difficult decision of either letting Bauer back on the active roster while criminal charges are being investigated or prematurely handing out punishment.

While on leave, Bauer continues to get paid by the Dodgers, from whom he is receiving around $1.5 million per week.

The Dodgers previously canceled Bauer’s bobblehead night, arranged for Aug. 19, and have removed his merchandise from team and online stores, saying they “did not feel it was appropriate” given the investigations.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Nevada extends suspensions of 4 UFC fighters

Four UFC fighters had temporary suspensions extended Wednesday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).

Jamahal Hill, Tim Elliott, Luis Pena and Marc-Andre Barriault failed in-competition drug tests in relation to their last fights in Nevada. Upon the results coming back, the four fighters were temporarily suspended.

On Wednesday, the commission extended those suspensions at its monthly meeting. The suspensions will be in effect until the athletes can have disciplinary hearings when the length of the suspensions and any other discipline — like fines — will be determined.

Hill, Elliott and Peña tested positive for cannabis. Barriault tested positive for the banned substance ostarine, a performance-enhancer in the family of selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs). It is projected that the four fighters will have disciplinary hearings at the NSAC meeting next month.

The most recent NSAC suspensions for marijuana have been for nine months. Cannabis is prohibited in-competition by the NSAC over a threshold of 150 ng/ml.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

The commission can suspend a fighter for ostarine use anywhere between nine months and two years.

Barriault overpowered Oskar Piechota via second-round TKO at UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Volkov on June 20. With his failed drug test, Barriault is facing that victory being overturned to a no contest.

Hill, an unbeaten light heavyweight prospect, defeated Klidson Abreu by first-round TKO at UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs. Burns on May 30. Peña fell to Khama Worthy by third-round submission at UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Hooker on June 27. All the bouts took place at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.

The four UFC fighters could also face discipline from USADA, the UFC’s anti-doping partner.

Also Wednesday, the NSAC came to an adjudication agreement with PFL fighter Glaico Franca, suspending him for nine months and fining him $3,500 for failing a drug test for the anabolic steroid Stanozolol last October in relation to his PFL playoff fight with David Michaud.

Franca’s suspension already expired July 12. The adjudication agreement delay was due to Franca having issues having his dietary supplements tested in his native Brazil and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Bengals A.J Green signs franchise tender

A.J. Green officially put ink to paper on Friday afternoon. 

The Cincinnati Bengals star wide receiver signed the one-year franchise tag tender the team extended to him in March, the team stated. He will make about $18 million this campaign. 

Green wanted a multi-year extension but knew this day was coming all along. The Bengals thought it was best to place him under the franchise tag after the receiver sustained a season-ending left ankle injury on the first day of training camp in 2019. 

The veteran receiver has suffered lower-body injuries and missed substantial time in three of the last four years. But, the Bengals do believe Green is still capable of being a premier No. 1 wide receiver in the NFL. The team is enthusiastic to see him back healthy this season with rookie quarterback Joe Burrow under center. 

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“A.J. is one of the best receivers in the NFL,” Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said in a statement. “He’s an important part of our plans, and we’re thrilled to have him in the fold from Day 1. We’re looking forward to the impact of his talent and leadership on our offense this season.”

Coming into his 10th season, Green ranks second in team history in most receiving categories. 

Green is expected to report to Bengals training camp July 28. He and the team hope it won’t be his final training camp in a Bengals uniform. “From the day that he joined our organization nine years ago, A.J. Green has been an outstanding player and a class act,” Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn said in a statement.

“We are pleased that he will be part of the team this year, starting with the first practice. By signing, A.J. puts himself and the team in the best position to have a great season together, and we look forward to the opportunity at the end of the season to discuss keeping him here long-term. He has been an integral part of our team, and we expect this year that he will be the same impact player he has always been.”

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

49ers reward coach Kyle Shanahan with new 6 year deal

San Francisco is compensating head coach Kyle Shanahan with a new six-year contract that replaces the three years he had remaining on his deal and ties him to the 49ers through the 2025 season, league sources told ESPN.

The contract makes Shanahan one of the NFL’s five highest-paid head coaches. But what made this deal unique is that it was hardly a protracted negotiation between 49ers owner Jed York and Shanahan; the two men sat down and quickly figured out what each meant to the other, committing to their second six-year contract in just over three years.

Shanahan signed his first six-year contract with the 49ers in February 2017. This new six-year deal, completed recently, replaces that one. Shanahan has helped remake the franchise, leading it to an NFC championship last season. He is regarded as one of the best playcallers in the league and one of the top offensive minds in the game.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Offensively, San Francisco averaged 29.9 points a game under Shanahan in 2019, which ranked second in the NFL.

On the defensive side of the ball, they were second in the league in points allowed at just 19.4 points per match.

Shanahan also has helped form one of the most progressive and diverse coaching staffs in the league. Of the 49ers’ 23 assistant coaches, 11 are coaches of color or women. Among them are assistant head coach Jon Embree, who is black, and defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, believed to be the league’s first Arab American coordinator when San Francisco signed him in 2017.

Shanahan spoke openly and passionately about race earlier this month, saying it is embarrassing for the NFL to have only three black head coaches and two black general managers. Shanahan, 40, is a former offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.