Tagged in: Formula One

Hamilton wants three more years in F1

Lewis Hamilton expects to stay in Formula One for at least three more years, revealing he is motivated to stay in the sport by its lack of diversity and his desire to prove he deserves a space on the grid.

The six-time world champion is out of contract with Mercedes at the end of 2020 but is expected to negotiate a renewal with the team over the upcoming months.

Speaking ahead of this weekend’s British Grand Prix, he revealed that he is targeting a minimum of three more years in the sport but confessed that nothing was concrete.

“I think you still have to earn the right to be here in terms of how you perform and continue to deliver,” he said. “So my goal is to continue to deliver as long as I can. I do see myself going for at least another three years.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Hamilton made his F1 debut in 2007 with McLaren, won his first title in 2008 and moved to Mercedes in 2013.

Since then he has added five more titles and looks set for a record-equaling seventh this year if he can fend off Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas.

Hamilton said the delayed start to the season due to the coronavirus pandemic may have inadvertently extended his career by giving him time to rest and reflect.

“The COVID lockdown meant the first part of the season was cancelled, and while that was a negative in many, many ways, in some ways it gave a lot of life and energy to focus on some other things and that bit of time off was really a bit of breathing space. It has kind of giving me a renewed bit of energy to perhaps go longer.

“Ultimately I want to be able to perform at the level I am performing at now forever, but obviously there is a point at which physicality and the mental side can tail off. I don’t know when that’s going to be, but I don’t see that happening in a particular short term in the next two or three years, so I am definitely going to be here for the foreseeable future.”

Speaking about his motivation to stay in the sport, Hamilton cited the lack of drivers from his background in junior categories.

The 35-year-old is F1’s only Black driver and has taken the lead in campaigning for greater diversity in the sport.

Speaking about his motivation to stay in the sport, Hamilton cited the lack of drivers from his background in junior categories. The 35-year-old is F1’s only Black driver and has taken the lead in campaigning for greater diversity in the sport.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

MotoGP races in Britain, Australia canceled amid pandemic

The MotoGP races in Britain and Australia are the latest to be canceled on the international motorcycle racing circuit because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Organizers on Friday said COVID-19 pandemic “and resulting calendar modifications have obliged the cancellation of both events.”

The British Grand Prix had been planned for Aug. 28-30 at the Silverstone Circuit and the Australian Grand Prix was set to be staged at Phillip Island from Oct. 23-25.

“I want to thank the stoic British fans for their patience and support,” Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle said in a statement. “We must now look forward to 2021 when Silverstone will once again host the fastest and most historic MotoGP race on the calendar and work hard to make it a truly exceptional event.”

Carmelo Ezpeleta, chief executive of Dorna Sports, which has the commercial and TV rights for MotoGP, said the British and Australian races couldn’t be rearranged because there was “no way through the logistical and operational issues resulting from the pandemic and rearranged calendar.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

MotoGP is aiming to start the series in Spain in July.

The first two MotoGP events of the year in Qatar and Thailand were canceled on March 2 because of travel restrictions. At the time, there had been 34 deaths from the COVID-19 illness in Italy and more than 1,100 people had tested positive.

The numbers of deaths attributed to COVID-19 in Italy has risen to more than 33,000, which is the third-highest national toll behind the United States and Britain. Globally, there have been more than 360,000 deaths from COVID-19 among more than 5.8 million reported cases.

Paul Little, chairman of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation also communicated disappointment but backed the decision to cancel.

Globe-trotting MotoGP and Formula One have both been battered by the coronavirus shutdown, with their seasons yet to start and the prospect of a drastically rejigged calendar in the second half of the year.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Williams confirm F2 driver Latifi will replace Kubica

The Formula One grid for next season is done after Williams confirmed its reserve driver Nicholas Latifi will replace Robert Kubica.

Latifi is to step up from Formula Two to make his F1 debut in 2020 after Kubica decided to vacate his seat following the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this weekend. 

Canadian Latifi, who has also been a test driver for Renault and Force India, is second in the F2 championship with one round to go.

The 24-year-old had been expected to partner George Russell next year and his promotion was announced by the British team on Friday.

“I am thrilled to be stepping up as Race Driver for 2020,” said Latifi.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the team this year, supporting them with the development of the car, and assisting wherever I can trackside and at the factory.

“I look forward to the journey ahead with the team, and I am excited to make my Formula One debut at the Australian Grand Prix in 2020.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams said: “I am delighted to announce that Nicholas will be stepping up to the role of race driver to partner George in 2020.

“All of us at Williams have been immensely impressed at what he has achieved this year in FIA Formula Two, along with his commitment to the team, and the work that he has put in behind the scenes.

“Nicholas has become an established and well-respected member of Williams, and we look forward to him stepping up into this new role, as we look to fight our way back to the midfield.”

Williams has endured the worst season in its history this year after it failed to get its car ready for the opening pre-season test and was forced to play catch up for the rest of the season.

The team has often qualified multiple seconds off the pace and has only scored one point all season when Kubica snatched a tenth place finish in Germany once both Alfa Romeos were penalised over a technical infringement.

Latifi has received substantial financial backing from his family throughout his career and his father, Michael, holds 10 percent of McLaren’s holding company.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Hamilton acquires his sixth-straight Formula One Championship

Lewis Hamilton can be ranked among the best drivers to ever get behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car. At this year’s United States Grand Prix, Hamilton further cemented his on-going legacy by clinching his sixth world drivers title with two races to go in the 2019 season.

Not only that, this is also Hamilton’s third championship in a row. Among the current crop of drivers, Only Sebastian Vettel has the most successive titles with four in a row.

Six titles also means that Hamilton has also defeated Juan Manuel Fangio in the most number of titles, and is now only one behind Michael Schumacher who has seven. Ever since the start of the turbo-hybrid era, the combination of Hamilton and Mercedes-AMG have been dominating the sport.

Just two weeks ago, the team bagged the constructor’s championship, their sixth straight title. That record places them tied with McLaren with most consecutive constructor’s championships.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Hamilton’s season started off strong by finishing in the top two spots over the span of eight races.

He never suffered a single retirement this year, and placed in the points in the 19 races run so far. Aside from one particularly disastrous round during the German Grand Prix where he finished ninth, Hamilton would always be in the top five finishers.

Next year will be the last of the existing generation of Formula 1 cars. While there is no question that Mercedes-AMG and Lewis Hamilton will still be a force to be reckoned with in 2020, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the field will adapt to the new car and rule changes by 2021. 

The Circuit of the Americas had a special parking spot next to the podium reserved for the championship car.

There was only one car that could be. It was a silver Mercedes No. 44. “I remember watching this sport when I was younger,” Hamilton said. “It’s beyond surreal to think that this journey, that my life journey has brought me to this point.”

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.