Tagged in: Los Angeles Chargers

Chargers to keep Shane Steichen as Offensive Coordinator in 2020

Shane Steichen will stay as the Los Angeles Chargers’ offensive coordinator for the 2020 season after taking over on an interim basis for the second half of this season, the team announced Tuesday.

Under Steichen, the Chargers’ passing offense improved in total net yards per game, passing yards per game and passing yards per attempt. In addition, the Chargers’ rushing offense improved by 42.6 yards per game. Steichen replaced Ken Whisenhunt in the offensive coordinator’s role at the end of October. He was the team’s quarterbacks coach at the time of his promotion.

The Chargers were 5-11, finishing in last place in the AFC West this season. Coach Anthony Lynn, however, signed an extension with the team last week, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Lynn signed the extension before he could head into the last season of his deal and now has “multiple years on his contract,” the source said.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Lynn had said the Chargers would likely hire a new quarterbacks coach if Steichen remained as the offensive coordinator for the 2020 season.

The Chargers announced a few positional coaching assignments on Tuesday but did not name a quarterbacks coach among those moves.

The Chargers face uncertainty at quarterback for the 2020 campaign as longtime starter Philip Rivers will be an unrestricted free agent. He told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and Schefter last month that he has “permanently” moved his family from San Diego to Florida to be closer to his family.

The team holds the No. 6 overall pick in the 2020 draft and might use the selection on a rookie quarterback.

Steichen is also just 34 years old. The Chargers hope they can groom the coach. If done correctly, he could be around for a very long time, and possibly even find his way to a head coach spot soon.

It seems the Chargers want to give Steichen a longer look, and see if maybe he can be that star.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Ken Whisenhunt out of OC of Chargers

The Los Angeles Chargers relieved from duties offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, the team stated Monday.

The Chargers are 17th in total offense, averaging 350.6 yards per game, and 14th in offensive efficiency, per Football Outsiders.

Los Angeles will hope a new offensive coordinator can help it get back on track following a 3-5 start.

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn issued the following announcement regarding the decision: “This is not an easy decision and definitely not one that I take lightly. You win as a team, and you lose as a team. It’s never about just one person. At the end of the day, however, I simply felt a change was needed at this time. I want to thank Ken for his years of service to the Chargers organization and wish him nothing but the best moving forward.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

This was Whisenhunt’s second tenure with the franchise with his first being a one-year run as OC in 2013.

He returned to the role prior to the start of the 2016 season after a two-year head coaching gig with the Titans.

The offense as a whole has struggled, ranking 23rd in points per game (19.6), 28th in yards per rush (3.48), T-23rd in turnovers (13) and 31st in red zone scoring percentage (70.4). They are the only team in the Super Bowl era (since 1966) to rush for fewer than 40 yards in four straight games (all four since Melvin Gordon returned).

The offense has faceplanted the last couple weeks after Melvin Gordon returned to the team from his hold out. The Chargers have not scored more than 20 points in a game in the last month as part of a 1-3 skid that would have been winless if not for a missed Eddy Pineiro field goal try Sunday in Chicago.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.