The administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has been extended by nearly two weeks to July 27, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.
The move pushes Bauer’s leave past a scheduled July 23 hearing for a domestic violence restraining order filed by a woman in L.A. County Superior Court.
Major League Baseball and the Pasadena Police Department are conducting separate investigations into Bauer after the woman said in the order that he choked her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters this year, the last of which happened on May 16 at Bauer’s Pasadena, California, home.
Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.
Bauer’s representatives issued a statement denying that Bauer had assaulted the woman, calling the encounters “wholly consensual.”
Bauer is required to attend next week’s hearing, but he has the right to not testify on his own behalf.
It’s the third time Bauer’s leave has been extended; the first two times were by seven-day increments. The Major League Baseball Players Association also needed to provide consent for the leave to be extended.
If the MLBPA hadn’t consented to another extension, the league would have faced a difficult decision of either letting Bauer back on the active roster while criminal charges are being investigated or prematurely handing out punishment.
While on leave, Bauer continues to get paid by the Dodgers, from whom he is receiving around $1.5 million per week.
The Dodgers previously canceled Bauer’s bobblehead night, arranged for Aug. 19, and have removed his merchandise from team and online stores, saying they “did not feel it was appropriate” given the investigations.
Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.