Tagged in: Manchester City

Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling not interested in Tottenham move as part of Harry Kane deal

Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling would not be keen on a move to Tottenham as part of a deal to bring Harry Kane to the Etihad Stadium, sources have told ESPN.

ESPN reported on Monday that City were readying a £100 million offer for Kane that could include players heading to Spurs as part of the arrangement.

Reports have suggested Sterling is one of the names in the frame, along with Gabriel Jesus and Aymeric Laporte, but sources have informed ESPN the England winger is not open to the idea of being considered in the deal.

Sources close to City and Tottenham told ESPN a formal offer for Kane has not been made.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Sterling has been a key part of City’s success under Pep Guardiola, winning the Premier League title three times.

However, the 26-year-old lost his place in the starting XI towards the end of last campaign as Guardiola favored Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez. All three started the Champions League final loss to Chelsea.

Sterling was left on the bench for both legs of the quarterfinal versus Borussia Dortmund and again in the semifinal triumph over Paris Saint-Germain.

He has two years left on his contract after signing an extension in November 2018.

Sources have told ESPN that if he were to leave City this summer, it would be on his terms rather than as part of another deal.

Kane is keen to leave Tottenham this summer with City, Manchester United and Chelsea all registering an interest with his representatives.

Sources have told ESPN that even if City made a £100m bid, it is likely to be rejected by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who values the striker at more than £150m.

Kane still has three years left on his contract after signing a long-term deal in 2016. The 27-year-old’s future has also been complicated by Spurs’ ongoing search for a new manager after the dismissal of Jose Mourinho last season.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Man City’s Guardiola: I won’t sleep ahead of Neymar, Mbappe meeting

Pep Guardiola stated he won’t sleep ahead of Manchester City’s Champions League semifinal with Paris Saint-Germain if he thinks too much about the threat posed by Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

City will come up versus PSG’s formidable forwards in the first leg in Paris on Wednesday and Guardiola said the pair are so good, they can give opposing managers restless nights.

“Always I believe the quality of these players, they have too much,” Guardiola told a news conference on Tuesday. “I tried to sleep well last night and that was when I was not thinking of them. Incredible top players, their quality. We are ready to try to stop them, defend as a team, play good football and try to score goals.”

Guardiola first faced Neymar when the Brazil forward was playing for Santos versus Barcelona in the Club World Cup in 2011.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

After joining Barcelona in 2013, Neymar moved on to PSG in 2017 but Guardiola said there would be more Champions League trophies in the Camp Nou trophy cabinet had he stayed.

“I remember against Santos, I said this was the king of Santos and all the players were open mouthed: ‘Oh my god, what a player,'” Guardiola added.

“A joy to watch as a spectator, he has Brazil on his shoulders, the No. 10, it’s not easy to wear.

“I’m pretty sure if he’d stayed in Barca they’d have won two or three more Champions Leagues. With Neymar, [Lionel] Messi and [Luis] Suarez, the best three I’ve seen.”

While the tie is only City’s second Champions League semifinal, PSG are trying to reach for the final for the second year in a row after narrowly losing out to Bayern Munich last campaign.

Since then, Thomas Tuchel has been replaced as manager with Mauricio Pochettino.

The former Tottenham boss has been able to get the best out of Neymar since he arrived in January, leading to speculation the 29-year-old is a candidate for the Ballon d’Or and is set to extend his contract.

“I have already talked about it [his contract],” Neymar told a news conference on Tuesday.

“It is not a topic now. I feel great. I am happy this season. It has been by far my happiest this season. “My main objective is the Champions League, not the Ballon d’Or. That is not a priority. I want to be a leader for my team. I want to win. In the future, I will want to remember I have managed to win the Champions League a few times.”

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Man City’s Aguero has Barcelona, PSG, Juventus as transfer options – sources

Sergio Aguero is considering interest from Juventus, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain after ruling out a return to club football in Argentina following confirmation of his exit from Manchester City this summer, sources have told ESPN.

The 32-year-old, who is the highest-scoring non-Englishman in Premier League history with 181 goals, will leave the Etihad at the end of the campaign after City confirmed on Monday that he would not be offered a new contract to replace his existing deal, which expires on June 30.

Aguero had previously stated that his ambition, at the end of his stay at City, was to return to Argentina to play for boyhood club Independiente. But sources have told ESPN that Aguero considers he can still perform at the top level in Europe for at least two more seasons and the forward is now ready to take advantage of his free agent status this summer to secure a move to one of the game’s top clubs.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

ESPN reported recently that Barca were monitoring Aguero’s situation at City amid concerns that Lionel Messi will leave Camp Nou at the end of this season.

PSG are also interested in the Argentina international, while Juve are another option with the Italian champions keen to plan for life without Cristiano Ronaldo in the event of the former Manchester United and Real Madrid forward leaving the Turin club at the end of the season.

Sources have told ESPN that Aguero is aware of interest from within the Premier League, but after 10 years in England, the player would prefer to move to Europe.

Having signed for City in a £35 million move from Atletico Madrid in 2011, Aguero has won four Premier League titles, five EFL Cup trophies and one FA Cup in his time at the club, with his winning goal, four minutes into stoppage time versus QPR in May 2012, sealing City’s first title in 44 years and becoming one of the most memorable moments in Premier League history.

But injuries, and a spell on the sidelines with COVID-19, have restricted Aguero to just four Premier League starts and one goal this season.

In total, he has made just 14 appearances in all competitions, scoring three goals. Aguero is now fit, however, and ready to contribute to City’s push for an unprecedented quadruple of Premier League, FA Cup, EFL Cup and Champions League this season.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

De Bruyne lauds Pep lineup surprise in City victory

Kevin De Bruyne has admitted Manchester City players were ‘surprised’ when they learnt the line-up before the Real Madrid match on Wednesday night.

Pep Guardiola raised eyebrows by benching Sergio Aguero, Raheem Sterling, Fernandinho and David Silva, while Gabriel Jesus was pushed out wide and De Bruyne played down the middle.

De Bruyne said: ‘I think, the four years we’re here with Pep, there are some surprises [within the squad], and even the players, they don’t know before the game starts what they need to do.

‘Some [changes] were good. I think we had some lesser moments. In a quality game like this, you’re going to struggle sometimes, but I thought we really fought really well together.’

His remarks were echoed by former England goalkeeper Joe Hart, who said in the studio a conventional City line up would have beaten Madrid by more.

De Bruyne went on to hail his side’s character after they fought back from a goal down to defeat Real Madrid 2-1 at the Bernabeu, putting them in pole position to claim a quarter-final spot.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

City were dealt an early blow when they lost Aymeric Laporte and were forced to draft in Fernandinho at the back again.And a defensive error saw Isco pounce and put the hosts ahead on the 60-minute mark.

Yet Jesus equalled things up when he latched on the end of a De Bruyne cross and headed the ball past Thibaut Courtois, who many may feel should have done more.

Sterling, who came on as a substitute in the 73rd minute, made a darting run at the Madrid defence and was hacked down in the box by full back Dani Carvajal.

After City have failed to convert from the spot countless times this campaign, De Bruyne stepped up to quell fears and roll it past Courtois.

The Belgian’s spot kick made City the first English side to win in the Bernabeu for 11 years.

De Bruyne told BT Sport: ‘It’s a very good start for the first game. The first 15 minutes we struggled for a bit but you have to go through the storm.

‘It was a pretty even first half and we started the second half pretty well. The (Real) goal came at a bit of a bad moment for us because I think we were dominating at the time.

‘I thought our response was brilliant. It was a beautiful goal from Gabi and the second goal, the penalty was very important for us.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.