Tagged in: new deal

Dallas Cowboys, Dak Prescott still not close to long-term deal

The Cowboys and Dak Prescott still are not close on a new deal to keep the star quarterback in Dallas long-term, sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The Cowboys and Prescott were banned from negotiating a new deal during the season, but the sides were permitted to resume contract talks once Dallas’ disappointing season ended.

Sources told ESPN that the Cowboys still want to re-sign Prescott, who wants to stay in Dallas. But the sides still have plenty of work to do on a new deal, with a history of not being able to get it done.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones acknowledged last month that Prescott is in a good negotiating position, considering Dallas’ 6-10 record and the offense’s struggles after the two-time Pro Bowler’s season-ending leg injury.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“I don’t know how you could have any more leverage,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan.

Prescott, who played this past year under the Cowboys’ franchise tag, suffered a dislocation and compound fracture of his right ankle in Week 5 versus the New York Giants.

He was on pace for his best statistical season, with 1,856 yards passing, nine touchdown passes and four interceptions, but the Cowboys were 2-3 in his five starts.

Once the sides did not reach an agreement on a contract on June 15, 2020, Prescott had to play this season on the $31.4 million franchise tag. The Cowboys offered Prescott a deal last year that sources said averaged $34.5 million a year, with a $50 million signing bonus and had $110 million in guarantees.

The biggest issue between the sides was the length of the deal. The Cowboys wanted five years; agent Todd France countered with four because impending television contracts are expected to significantly raise the salary cap in the future.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

WR Chris Hogan joins Jets, his fourth AFC East team

The New York Jets are apparently adding another veteran wide receiver for Sam Darnold to work with. On Sunday, Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network reported that the Jets had agreed to terms with veteran wideout Chris Hogan on a new deal.

Hogan has been a constant in the AFC East, and has now spent time with all four teams. Hogan was most recently with the Carolina Panthers, but played in just seven games and made eight catches for 67 yards in 2019. He suffered a knee injury early in the campaign which placed him on injured reserve, but he did return to the active roster later in the year.

While Hogan spent time on the Miami Dolphins’ practice squad and spent four years with the Buffalo Bills, he will most likely be remembered for his time with the New England Patriots.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Hogan collected two Super Bowls in three years with the Tom Brady and the Patriots, and owns the franchise record for most receiving yards in a playoff game — when he went off for 180 yards and two touchdowns versus the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship game during the 2016 season.

In those three seasons with New England, Hogan caught 107 passes for 1,651 yards and 12 touchdowns. 

The former undrafted two-way player out of Monmouth has struggled to make an impact when not playing for the Patriots, but does get a chance with the Jets. New York lost former No. 1 wideout Robby Anderson in free agency, and while it signed Breshad Perriman and drafted Denzel Mims this offseason, both players are unproven.

Perriman secured a deal thanks to a late-season explosion he had for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, when both Mike Evans and Chris Godwin went down with injuries, and Mims is a rookie out of Baylor who was taken by New York in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft. 

Hogan, who turns 33 in October, has caught a total of 202 passes for 2,677 yards and 18 touchdowns in 95 career games. 

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Rangers bring back catcher Robinson Chirinos

The Texas Rangers are signing free-agent catcher Robinson Chirinos to a one-year deal.

League sources told ESPN and MLB Media on Tuesday night that Chirinos agreed to a one-year, $6.75 million deal with the Rangers. The club hasn’t confirmed the agreement, which is pending a physical.

The contract includes a $5.75 million base salary for the 2020 campaign, according to ESPN. Chirinos’ deal also has a club option for 2021 that is worth $6.5 million with a $1 million buyout.

Chirinos made his MLB debut with the Tampa Bay Rays in 2011. He was traded to the Rangers in April 2013 and spent six seasons with Texas before joining the Houston Astros in free agency last off-season.

Chirinos played in a career-high 114 regular-season games in Houston last season and recorded a .238 batting average with 17 home runs and 58 RBIs. In his final season before leaving the Rangers in 2018, he set career highs in homers (18) and RBIs (65).

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

In 576 career games between the Rays, Rangers and Astros, Chirinos has a career .234 batting average with 85 home runs and 262 RBIs.

The Rangers did not exercise a friendly club option on Chirinos in November 2019 and quickly signed veteran Jeff Mathis to a two-year deal, saying they were placing more value on defense than offense.

Mathis’ struggled to one of the worst offensive seasons in baseball, batting only .158 with a meager .433 OPS, and the Rangers had the worst offensive production at the position.

Chirinos, 35, had the good fortune of catching Cy Young winner Justin Verlander and runner-up Gerrit Cole last season as the Astros went to the World Series, losing in seven games to the Washington Nationals.

Mathis and rookie Jose Trevino are on the 40-man roster. Daniels said on Monday that the Rangers would bring both to spring training even if a catcher was added to a big-league deal.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.