Tagged in: pitcher

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has administrative leave extended through Aug. 13

The administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer was extended a fourth time on Thursday, this time by an extra seven days through Aug. 13, according to a league official.

A civil hearing for the temporary restraining order that was acquired against Bauer will start three days after that in L.A. Superior Court. The hearing, which was twice granted a continuance at the request of Bauer’s legal team, is scheduled for Aug. 16-19. That means Bauer’s leave might have to be extended at least once more, unless MLB or the City of Pasadena (California) Police Department wrap up their investigations before then.

MLB can unilaterally place a player on administrative leave for up to seven days under a joint domestic violence policy, but it must obtain consent by the MLB Players Association thereafter. Bauer hasn’t been with the Dodgers since initially being placed on leave July 2.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Bauer, 30, has been accused by a woman of choking her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters earlier this year, according to a domestic violence restraining order that was filed in L.A. County Superior Court on June 28, copies of which were obtained by ESPN.

The temporary restraining order was executed ex parte, which can be attained without input from the other party.

Bauer’s side has strongly denied the allegations of sexual assault, calling the interactions between him and the woman “wholly consensual” and saying in a prior statement that Bauer “vehemently denies her account of their two meetings.”

The initial hearing to decide whether the temporary restraining order would become permanent took place July 23 and was delayed an additional six business days after Bauer’s attorneys demanded more time to prepare a defense against witnesses and exhibits they claimed to not have received until the night before the hearing. A continuance was obtained once again on July 29.

Bauer attended the initial hearing, as did the woman. Bauer’s legal team told the judge that it has advised him not to testify, given the ongoing investigation, but the petitioner’s side stated that he must nonetheless take the stand, even if he invokes his Fifth Amendment right not to answer questions. Both sides will call a total of up to 10 witnesses.

The Dodgers, who traded for Max Scherzer last week and signed Cole Hamels on Wednesday, have canceled Bauer’s bobblehead night and have removed all of his merchandise from the team and online stores, saying they “did not feel it was appropriate” given the investigations.

Bauer, the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner as a member of the Cincinnati Reds, joined the Dodgers with a record-setting three-year, $102 million contract in February that incorporates two opt-out clauses.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

New York Yankees acquire All-Star first baseman Anthony Rizzo from Chicago Cubs

The New York Yankees obtained All-Star first baseman Anthony Rizzo from the Chicago Cubs on Thursday, it was revealed.

Right-handed pitcher Alexander Vizcaino and outfielder Kevin Alcantara, both minor leaguers, will head from New York to Chicago in the trade.

The Yankees also announced they acquired cash considerations from the Cubs but didn’t specify the amount. A source told ESPN’s Jesse Rogers that it is $5.5 million, which is the remaining balance of Rizzo’s $16.5 million salary this season.

Rizzo wasn’t in the lineup for the Cubs’ series finale versus the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday. The three-time All-Star is batting .248 with 14 home runs and 40 RBIs in 92 games this season.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Rizzo, who will turn 32 on Aug. 8, can become a free agent after the season.

He has spent the past 10 seasons with Chicago. The slugger went over in a trade with the San Diego Padres in 2012 and is considered one of the iconic Cubs after helping break a 108-year championship drought in 2016.

The move to get Rizzo comes after New York also got All-Star outfielder Joey Gallo from the Texas Rangers. Both Rizzo and Gallo are left-handed hitters, which the Yankees had sought to add to a lineup that was predominantly right-handed — not a good mix at Yankee Stadium with its short porch in right field.

New York started the day fourth in the American League wild-card chase for two spots and then lost 14-0 at Tampa Bay. The Yankees had been using a mix at first base this year with DJ LeMahieu getting a lot of time. 

Luke Voit led the majors in home runs last year during the pandemic-shortened season, but the big first baseman has been injured for much of the year.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Historic start for Shane Bieber as Cleveland Indians ace strikes out 13 in win over Cincinnati Reds

Shane Bieber kept up his record strikeout run, fanning 13 and pitching the Cleveland Indians past the Cincinnati Reds 6-3 on Sunday.

Bieber (2-1) became the first pitcher in big league history to start the season with four consecutive starts with at least 10 strikeouts since the mound was moved to its current distance back in 1893.

“That’s why you call guys aces. And he certainly has lived up to that,” Indians manager Terry Francona said. “He’s really accountable for what he needs to do.”

The 2020 American League Cy Young Award winner has 48 strikeouts this year, matching Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan for the most through the first four starts of a season. Bieber has fanned at least eight in 16 straight starts, one short of Randy Johnson’s major league mark.

“He’s the complete package as a pitcher,” Reds manager David Bell said. “He has it all. He deserves all the credit today. We got a few runs off him, but not enough.”

Bieber went eight innings, permitting three runs and six hits with two walks. “I felt a little slow, a little sluggish at the beginning of the game but was able to get through it and kind of get on a roll there at the end,” Bieber said.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Emmanuel Clase struck out the side in the ninth, again hitting 100 mph with his heater.

The Indians hit three home runs, all with two outs, to salvage a win in the all-Ohio series.

Roberto Perez hit a three-run homer off Wade Miley (2-1) over the center-field wall with two on in the fourth inning for a 4-0 lead.

Jose Ramirez launched a solo drive into the upper deck in the first. Jordan Luplow had a two-run homer in the seventh.

Miley took the loss for the Reds, lasting five innings and striking out five.

Joey Votto had three hits, including a two-run double in the Reds’ fifth. Tyler Naquin homered off Bieber in the eighth.

“We had some good at bats against [Bieber], but he got out of trouble by making really good pitches,” Reds left fielder Jesse Winker said. “My last at-bat against him [in the seventh inning], he made some unbelievable pitches.

“He’s a Cy Young winner, for sure.”

Reds third baseman Mike Moustakas missed his third consecutive game with a non-COVID-19 illness. Kyle Farmer started in his place. OF Shogo Akiyama (hamstring) is back with the team, but he is not expected to play until at least May.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Two-time All-Star pitcher Jordan Zimmermann signs minor league deal with Milwaukee Brewers

The Milwaukee Brewers have signed former All-Star pitcher Jordan Zimmermann to a minor league contract that incorporates an invitation to major league camp, the team informed Tuesday.

Zimmermann, who turns 35 on May 23, pitched in just three matches for the Detroit Tigers last season due to a forearm injury after going 1-13 with a 6.91 ERA in 2019. He was a two-time All-Star with the Washington Nationals, who selected him from Division III school Wisconsin-Stevens Point in the second round of the 2007 draft.

He described his injury as a “forearm flexor thing” and returned to make three September appearances last year, going 0-0 with a 7.94 ERA. Zimmermann says he now is as healthy as he’s been in a few years. “If I didn’t feel good or I didn’t feel healthy, I was probably thinking about retiring,” Zimmermann said.

“But I started working out, started running, started throwing and doing everything I normally do. The body feels good and the mind is telling me to keep going. I’m going to definitely give it another year, and we’ll see what happens after this year.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Zimmermann went 70-50 with a 3.32 ERA with the Nationals from 2009 to 2015, and he concluded seventh in the Cy Young Award voting in 2013 and fifth in 2014 while making the NL All-Star team both of those seasons.

He threw the first no-hitter in Nationals history when Washington beat the Miami Marlins 1-0 in the 2014 regular-season finale.

Zimmermann wasn’t nearly as effective after moving to the American League, posting a 25-41 record with a 5.63 ERA for Detroit over the past five seasons.

“If I didn’t have anything left, I probably would have retired and gone out on my own terms,” Zimmermann said. “But my body and my mind tell me, ‘You still have more left.’ Obviously, I want to go out there and stay healthy. I know I can get guys out. It’s definitely going to be nice getting back in the NL because I feel a lot more comfortable there than where I was.”

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

San Diego Padres set to acquire Yu Darvish from Chicago Cubs

The San Diego Padres are on the verge of making their second trade for a star pitcher in as many days, with the team expected to get righty Yu Darvish from the Chicago Cubs, according to sources familiar with the deal.

Darvish and catcher Victor Caratini, who emerged as the right-hander’s personal catcher in Chicago, will go to San Diego once the deal is completed, sources said.

In return, the Cubs are poised to get right-hander Zach Davies and four young prospects: outfielders Owen Caissie (18) and Ismael Mena (18), and shortstops Reggie Preciado (17) and Yeison Santana (20). Darvish, 34, is in the middle of six-year, $126 million contract he signed with the Cubs before the 2018 season.

After an elbow injury sidelined him that year, he started to come into his own in 2019, leading to a stellar 2020 campaign. He compiled a 2.01 ERA and a 0.96 WHIP in 76 innings, finishing second in NL Cy Young Award voting to Trevor Bauer.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Sources told ESPN on Sunday that the Padres also are concluding a deal with the Tampa Bay Rays for former Cy Young winner Blake Snell.

Like Darvish, that trade has not been officially announced.

But once they are, the two star pitchers will join Dinelson Lamet and Chris Paddack to form a formidable rotation in San Diego. Righty Mike Clevinger also is on the team but will miss the 2021 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

For the Cubs, the Darvish trade starts a reset under new president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer. That reset will include salary relief as Darvish is owed $59 million over the next three seasons.

The team already non-tendered left fielder Kyle Schwarber, which also saved it money.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Anthony DeSclafani signs with San Francisco Giants on 1-year deal

The San Francisco Giants added a veteran option for the rotation alongside ace Johnny Cueto by signing right-handed pitcher Anthony DeSclafani to a one-year contract, the team informed Wednesday.

The deal is worth $6 million in salary, a source told ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

The Giants still will look to add another top-tier starter, according to President of Baseball Operations Farhan Zaidi.

“He was an early target for us. We’ve talked a good amount about looking to add some starting pitching to our roster and take some pressure off some of our younger pitchers,” Zaidi stated.

“DeSclafani is a guy that we think comes with some ceiling. He’s got really good stuff, good velocity on the fastball, a lot of characteristics that we look for. Obviously didn’t have his best season in 2020 but in 2019 he really had a nice year. That would be a great outcome for us if he can even get back to that level as recently as 2019. We think there’s even upside beyond that.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

In his sixth campaign with the Reds, DeSclafani went 1-2 with a 7.22 ERA over nine games – seven starts – spanning 33 2/3 innings in 2020.

“Me and my family are excited for this new opportunity! Let’s go (at)SFGiants,” DeSclafani posted on Twitter.

To which Giants manger Gabe Kapler responded, “Let’s go!”

DeSclafani missed all of 2017 with an elbow injury but has otherwise been fairly durable, making at least 20 starts in 2015, ’16, ’18 and ’19.

The 30-year-old DeSclafani can earn an additional $250,000 in performance bonuses based on innings pitched. He could make $62,500 each for 140, 160, 180 and 200 innings.

DeSclafani could help fill a vacancy in the rotation given the departures of Jeff Samardzija and Drew Smyly from the Giants, who missed the playoffs on the final day of Kapler’s first season as manager.

The Giants and Cueto have decided the right-hander won’t pitch winter ball in his native Dominican Republic after all, given this year was his first full season back from Tommy John surgery.

Young pitchers Tyler Beede and Logan Webb are working back from surgeries. San Francisco has 39 players on the 40-man roster.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Mets pitcher Marcus Stroman opts out of 2020 season

Marcus Stroman’s recuperation from a torn left calf muscle was almost complete, and he was in line to possibly make his season debut for the New York Mets next week versus the Miami Marlins.

But the idea of traveling to one of the country’s coronavirus hot spots played a factor in Stroman’s decision Monday to opt out of the 2020 campaign.

“Obviously, you see the Cardinals, the Marlins, you see spikes everywhere in the country, you see protocols not being handled properly from citizens everywhere,” Stroman said during a Zoom call. “You see us going to Florida soon. That was a big discussion I had with my family. Going to see the Marlins soon, that’s something I don’t want to be in that situation.”

Stroman, booked to become a free agent after the season, is the second Mets player to opt out this month. Designated hitter Yoenis Cespedes left the team Aug. 2. Stroman said he had daily conversations with his family about what to do. His grandmother and uncle have compromised immune systems and are around his mother on a regular basis.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“This was a decision I had to kind of take myself out of it and look out for the best interests of my family,” Stroman said.

His decision came four days after he threw 85 pitches in his second simulated game and a day before he was arranged to throw another simulated game.

On Sunday, manager Luis Rojas expressed hope it would be the last simulated game for Stroman, who was injured during the Mets’ summer workouts. New York’s next road trip is to begin Friday at Philadelphia and conclude with a four-game set at Miami Aug. 17-20.

Rojas said he understood Stroman’s decision but was surprised.

“He wanted to do another one just to play it safe and see how he felt coming out of it and then come join us,” Rojas said Monday. “But, once again, we fully support him.”

Stroman will go on the restricted list, allowing the Mets to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.

Stroman’s exit further weakens a rotation that looked like one of the best before the pandemic shut the game down in March. While two-time reigning NL Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom has been impressive in four starts, Noah Syndergaard is out for the season after Tommy John surgery and Michael Wacha went on the injured list Sunday with a shoulder injury Sunday.

With Stroman out, rookie left-hander David Peterson, who is 2-1 with a 3.78 ERA in his first three big league starts, is locked into a rotation spot. General manager Brodie Van Wagenen said relievers Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman are possibilities to fill the fifth spot.

Stroman was 4-2 with a 3.77 ERA in 11 starts last season for the Mets, who acquired him a little over a year ago. He grew up on Long Island about 50 miles from Citi Field.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Back surgery sidelines starter James Paxton 3-4 months

New York Yankees starting pitcher James Paxton is expected to miss three to four months after undergoing back surgery on Wednesday.

The Yankees informed that Paxton underwent a microscopic lumbar discectomy and had a peridiscal cyst removed, addressing pain that started last campaign. The surgery was performed by Dr. Andrew Dossett in Dallas.

Paxton left his final regular-season start, at Texas on Sept. 27, after one inning because of what the Yankees said was a tight left glute muscle. That ended the left-hander’s career-best streak of victories in 10 consecutive starts.

He was 1-0 with a 3.46 ERA in three postseason starts, allowing five runs in 13 innings. He made two starts versus the Houston Astros in the American League Championship Series.

“He pitched extremely well, especially in Houston,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. “But when he started ramping up his winter program about four weeks or so ago, he started feeling symptoms again.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

After he left that September start, Paxton was examined by Yankees head team physician Dr. Christopher Ahmad and Rangers physician Dr. Keith Meister, and the pitcher received an injection of a painkiller. He was then examined in an offseason follow-up by Dossett, receiving a new round of injections, and was told to see how he felt in three weeks.

“It turned out clearly that that did not resolve the problem,” Cashman said, “so surgical intervention then was the last resort.”

Paxton, 31, went 15-6 with a 3.82 ERA in 29 starts last season, his first with the Yankees.

He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 campaign. The Yankees acquired Paxton last offseason in a trade with the Seattle Mariners.

In an injury-riddled season for the Yankees’ staff, Paxton helped lead New York to an AL East title in convincing fashion. He was 5-6 in July but started to reduce his percentage of fastballs and went on his streak. He agreed last month to a $12.5 million, one-year contract.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.