Tagged in: positive

San Francisco 49ers shut facility after WR Kendrick Bourne tests positive for COVID-19

One day before they are planned to play the Green Bay Packers on Thursday Night Football, the San Francisco 49ers shut down their facility because of a positive COVID-19 test Wednesday morning.

The Niners confirmed the positive test after a league source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter that wide receiver Kendrick Bourne tested positive. League sources told ESPN that Thursday’s match is expected to go on as planned, pending more contact tracing and information.

In a statement, the Niners acknowledged the positive test and said they have entered the league’s “intensive protocol.”

“The San Francisco 49ers were informed today that a player has tested positive for COVID-19 and the individual immediately went into self-quarantine,” the statement said. “Our organization has entered the NFL’s intensive protocol and we are working with the league on contact tracing to identify high risk individuals. All team functions will be conducted virtually today.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“The health and safety of our players, staff and community are the organization’s highest priority. We will continue to work closely with the NFL and medical professionals and will follow their direction.”

Later Wednesday, Bourne was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

After Sunday’s loss to the Seattle Seahawks, the 49ers returned to the facility and held a practice early Tuesday evening in preparation for Thursday’s game versus Green Bay. The Packers flew to the Bay Area late Wednesday afternoon.

Bourne’s positive test means he won’t be able to play versus the Packers if the game goes on as organized, leaving the 49ers particularly short-handed at wide receiver after ruling out Deebo Samuel because of a hamstring injury and waiving wideout Dante Pettis.

Receiver Richie James has been limited in practice because of an ankle issue.

The Packers, meanwhile, will be without running back AJ Dillon, who tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, while running back Jamaal Williams and linebacker Kamal Martin also have been ruled out after they were deemed “high-risk close contacts” of Dillon. Running back Aaron Jones (calf) is listed as questionable.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Holm-Aldana UFC weekend main event called off

The organized main event for the Aug. 1 UFC Fight Night card between Holly Holm and Irene Aldana has been called off.

Aldana took to Instagram on Wednesday to announce that she had to withdraw after testing positive for the coronavirus.

According to ESPN’s Ariel Helwani, the main event will be Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan with Holm vs. Aldana no longer on the card.

Helwani added that the current plan is to rearrange Holm vs. Aldana for Oct. 5 as the main event.

The 32-year-old Aldana has won five of her past six fights and is among the fastest-rising stars in UFC’s female ranks. Holm was set to be arguably the biggest challenge of Aldana’s career despite her recent inconsistency.

Holm is best known for her shocking upset victory over Ronda Rousey in 2015, but she is just 3-5 since the win of her life. She has fallen to big names such as Miesha Tate, Cris Cyborg and Amanda Nunes, but she is coming off a win over Raquel Pennington at UFC 246 in January.

Aldana lost to Pennington last year, but she has bounced back with victories over Vanessa Melo and Ketlen Vieira.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Overall, Aldana is 12-5 with six wins by way of knockout and three submission victories professionally, while the 38-year-old Holm is 13-5 with eight knockouts. Holm is ranked second in the UFC women’s bantamweight division, and Aldana is sixth.

Whenever the Holm vs. Aldana fight does take place, the winner could be in line for a title shot versus Nunes.

The middleweight bout between Brunson and Shahbazyan will be a classic case of a clash between a grizzled veteran and an up-and-coming youngster.

Brunson, 36, is 20-7 professionally and has faced some of the biggest names in the sport, including Anderson Silva, Israel Adesanya and Lyoto Machida. Meanwhile, the 22-year-old Shahbazyan is a perfect 11-0 with nine of those wins by knockout.

Shahbazyan hasn’t faced the big names Brunson has, but he is 5-0 under the UFC banner and viewed as one of the top prospects in the sport.

If Shahbazyan manages to defeat Brunson, it will be the biggest win of his career and should help him rise significantly from his No. 9 ranking in the middleweight division.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Nets DeAndre Jordan, Spencer Dinwiddie say they tested positive for Covid

When the novel coronavirus pandemic first struck the NBA, four members of the Brooklyn Nets tested positive for COVID-19. One of them was Kevin Durant, but he and the other three unnamed members of the team have since been cleared of the virus and are symptom-free.

However, Durant (right Achilles), Kyrie Irving (right shoulder), Nic Claxton (left shoulder) and Wilson Chandler (opting out) will not be available for the Nets when the NBA resumes the 2019-20 campaign at Disney World in Florida at the end of July.

And Brooklyn will now be down more players – potentially even without its leading scorer for the bulk of the season.

DeAndre Jordan announced he had tested positive for the coronavirus and would not be playing during the resumed campaign, and Spencer Dinwiddie told Shams Charania of The Athletic he has tested positive for COVID-19.

d would not be playing during the resumed campaign, and Spencer Dinwiddie told Shams Charania of The Athletic he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“Over the past few months, I have been diligent about protecting myself and others from COVID-19 by following all designated protocol and quarantining,” Dinwiddie told The Athletic.

“I was ready and prepared to rejoin my teammates as we were to be an early entry team in the resumed season. I flew private to return to New York, passed multiple COVID-19 tests over my first several days in New York and was able to participate in a couple practices within the first week.

“Originally, we were supposed to be one of the teams to enter into the Orlando bubble early, but training camp got switched back to New York and unfortunately I am now positive.”

Dinwiddie has shown symptoms of the illness, “including fever and chest tightness.” As a result, he’s uncertain if he’ll participate in the league’s restart: “… it is unclear on whether or not I’ll be able to participate in Orlando,” he said. 

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Watney first player on PGA Tour to test positive

Nick Watney withdrew from the RBC Heritage on Friday prior to the second round after testing positive for COVID-19.

According to the PGA Tour, Watney specified he had symptoms consistent with the virus. After consulting with a physician, he took a COVID-19 test which turned out to be positive.

Before hearing of the result, however, Watney went to the golf course; Si Woo Kim said he saw Watney on the range. World No. 1 Rory McIlroy said he had a chat with Watney – at a distance – before teeing off. And Brooks Koepka said he saw Watney in the parking lot.

“He feels badly that he was here today at the golf course,” McIlroy said. “I said, look, it’s fine. You never know. So I said to him, if I was in your position, I probably would have been here, too. Look, at this point, you just have to concentrate on getting better and getting healthy. “But, yeah, look, it sucks for him especially. You know, if you contract it, that’s fine, but then it’s the fact that who have you come into contact with, and who you might have exposed and stuff. Look, we’re still in the middle of a pandemic. Until this thing’s over, we all just have to stay vigilant and keep your distance and wear our masks if we’re going out in public and keep washing our hands.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Watney texted McIlroy to tell him he had the virus and McIlroy valued Watney’s concern.

Watney shot 74 in the first round before withdrawing on Friday. He had traveled privately to Hilton Head Island and tested negatively on Monday here on the island.

He is the first PGA Tour player to test positive for the coronavirus.

Watney will isolate for at least 10 days nearby.

“Nick will have the PGA Tour’s full support throughout his self-isolation and recovery period under CDC guidelines,” the PGA Tour said in a statement.

The PGA Tour had no additional comment.

There were 369 tests of players, caddies, and essential personnel prior to the start of the RBC Heritage. There were no positive results. Watney, 39, is a five-time winner on the PGA Tour. He shot 71-74 to miss the cut last week in the Charles Schwab Challenge, when the PGA Tour returned to action after a 13-week break due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Two Lakers’ players test positive on Coronavirus

Two Los Angeles Lakers players tested positive for the coronavirus, the team has affirmed. 

The names of the players were not made public and they are in midst of a 14-day self-quarantine. 

The tests were taken by the Lakers on Wednesday and were administered entirely within the players’ cars, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPN. The Lakers took the tests after superstar Kevin Durant and three other members of the Brooklyn Nets tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday. 

The Lakers were the last team to play the Nets before the campaign was indefinitely suspended, as Brooklyn bested Los Angeles 104-102 last Tuesday night.

The list of NBA members to test positive for the virus continues to grow. As of Thursday, there have been 14 confirmed or reported cases spanning seven different teams.

According to NBA commissioner Adam Silver, eight of the league’s 30 teams have undergone team-wide testing. The teams that are openly known are the Jazz, Thunder, Raptors, Nets, Lakers and Sixers. The Raptors came back with negative test results.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

While some have been frustrated with the ease with which NBA teams seem to be acquiring the tests considering its lack of widespread availability, NBA spokesman Mike Bass made the argument to ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne that testing players across the league’s landscape is essential. 

NBA team facilities will reportedly be closed to players and team staff beginning on Friday in order to try to curb the outbreak of the virus.

During this time, players are able to travel outside of the city where they play, but they must stay in the country. Despite this, Silver stays optimistic that the season can still be salvaged, to an extent. 

While a return to basketball this season would be great, it’s obviously secondary to the health and safety of the teams, players and fans.

The NBA will certainly explore all feasible avenues when it comes to getting back on the floor, but the situation is fluid, and something that the league can’t control. Like everyone else, they just have to hope that the virus can be curbed in a timely manner.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Kevin Durant among four Nets players to test positive for covid-19

Kevin Durant, the DMV’s contemporary basketball legend, tested positive for the COVID-19 virus after coming back from a trip to San Francisco with his new team the Brooklyn Nets.  Durant, who remains sidelined after rupturing his achilles tendon in the 2019 NBA Finals while playing for the Golden State Warriors, was one of four Nets players who reportedly have contracted the virus.

“Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine,” the Prince George’s County native said to the sports website The Athletic. He said that he is feeling fine and not showing any symptoms. “We’re going to get through this.”

According to various reports, Brooklyn hired an outside firm to handle its testing, but the organization hasn’t released the names of the players. However, the Nets said in a statement on Tuesday that only one of the four players showed symptoms of the virus. but they are being kept isolated while receiving medical attention from team physicians. 

Four players represent one third of the team’s roster who have been infected.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“All players and members of the Nets travel party are being asked to remain isolated, closely monitor their health and maintain constant communication with team medical staff,” the Nets said in a statement.

“The health of our players and staff is of the highest priority to the organization and the team is doing everything within its power to ensure that those affected receive the best care possible.”

Durant, 31, signed a four-year deal that could pay him $164 million in Brooklyn after spending the last three years with the Warriors. While playing in the Bay Area he led Golden State to straight championships and they seemed poised for a third until he was lost for good in game six of the 2019 championship series.

The 10-time NBA all star led them on two title runs and was named NBA Finals MVP twice. He hasn’t played this campaign while rehabilitating an Achilles tendon injury suffered during their loss to the Toronto Raptors.

The final team the Nets faced before the season was forced into its hiatus were the Los Angeles Lakers ,who have been tested Wednesday. Lakers officials announced via Twitter after testing the team will be imposing a 14-day self quarantine.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Reds staff member in Arizona tests positive for coronavirus

An Arizona-based employee of the Cincinnati Reds has tested positive for COVID-19, also known as coronavirus, the team informed on Wednesday.

The Reds have their spring training facility at Goodyear Ballpark in the West Valley and share the facility with the Cleveland Indians. The camp is on Estrella Parkway and Yuma Road near Phoenix Goodyear Airport.

The latest update on Wednesday stated the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Arizona was 27, the Arizona Department of Health Services announced. It’s not clear whether that total included this Reds employee.

“As part of our commitment to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Reds are sending a precautionary notice to those who were inside the building of the Reds Spring Training Complex in Goodyear, Arizona, that an Arizona-based Reds employee has tested positive for COVID-19,” a statement from the team said.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“For your reference, the dates involved are February 29, 2020 through March 14, 2020. The Reds staff who came in close contact with this employee are being tested and have self-quarantined. We will continue to follow the state and local guidelines for the prevention and treatment of COVID-2019.”

The city of Goodyear stated in a press release that team staff in close contact with the employee are being tested and have self-quarantined.

“Goodyear continues to practice very strict sanitizing measures at all city facilities, including the Goodyear Ballpark where spring training games have been cancelled since March 12. City staff continues to practice social distancing to reduce human-to-human contact.”

In a conference call, Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen said he isn’t aware of any impact this has on D-backs players or employees.

“I have not been notified that there would be concern as of this minute in terms of that. I do know our last spring training game was with the Reds, but I don’t believe we’ve had any contact,” he said. “But we’re asking those questions.”

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.