Tagged in: Safety

Safety Jamal Adams requests trade from Jets

Jamal Adams’ trade request escalated from a social media rant to a real-life demand.

Frustrated by slow-moving contract negotiations and without much other leverage, Adams informed the team Thursday he wants to be dealt, The Post confirmed. It sets up what could be a messy split-up because the Jets are not inclined to move on from their best player – at least not without a significant package in return.

Adams’ frequent use of social media to voice his displeasure with the two years and $13.45 million remaining on his contract – and the slow-moving negotiations on an extension – reached another level Wednesday. “Maybe it’s time to move on,” Adams wrote Wednesday in reply to a Jets fan on Instagram.

Adams’ message last week, as word leaked the Browns and defensive end Myles Garrett are in talks on an extension, was the Jets are “all talk no action.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Now? Adams is venting at Jets fans and bringing Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes into the conversation. Garrett (No. 1), Adams (No. 6) and Mahomes (No. 10) were picked in the 2017 NFL Draft and this is the first offseason players from that class are eligible for an extension on original deals.

“What does Pat have to do with me?” Adams replied to a fan. “Pat is about to get 40 to 60 M’s (million) a year. Well deserved. That’s my guy. But don’t compare me to QB’s if you aren’t paying me QB money.”

Running back Christian McCaffrey signed a four-year, $64 million contract with the Panthers earlier this offseason.

He was selected two picks after Adams.

So, Adams can’t figure out why the Jets are not acting like the Browns and Panthers. Adams did not participate in the Jets’ voluntary virtual offseason to send a message and it seems the two sides could be headed toward a holdout if training camps start on time July 28.

“Don’t use the pandemic excuse,” Adams wrote. “CM22 got paid not too long ago. … [I am going to] protect myself just like the organization will look out for themselves at the end of the day.”

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Golfers playing through bizarre is new normal

Players at the Charles Schwab Challenge who participated in virtual press conferences on Tuesday stated they accept and support the conditions imposed for the first PGA Tour event since the abbreviated Players Championship in mid-March, protocols that involve both testing for coronavirus and restrictions on the golf course. Still, the “new normal” is likely to take some getting used.

After arriving in Fort Worth, all 148 players in the field (and their caddies) had to undergo a nasal swab test. Players, caddies and others then received a temperature scan of their foreheads and answered a series of questions about COVID-19 symptoms in order to gain entry to Colonial Country Club—a routine that will be recurrent daily throughout the entirety of the tournament.

Once on the grounds, Tour officials have encouraged everyone to keep space between themselves and others, creating some unusual breaks from the routine found at most tour events. “You’re getting your own range balls,” said Jordan Spieth, the 2016 champion at Colonial. “You’re scooping your bucket.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

The PGA Tour enacted these sweeping regulations and recommendations in order to ensure the safety of everyone involve in staging a return after its longest break—March 12 to June 9—since World War II.

As one of the first professional sports to resume play, golf has a chance to set an example about how sports can return to some form of responsible competition and entertainment.

To do that, however, the participants must take ownership, Speith said.

“A hundred percent. I totally think we all as players have responsibility for it to go off very smoothly,” he said. The Tour has limited the number of people who can be on the grounds, allowing no spectators or family members of the players to be in attendance. There is none of the usual infrastructure you find at a Tour event, no grandstands or hospitality areas or fitness trailers. What there are plenty of, however, are hand sanitizers stations throughout the course.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Veteran Patrick Chung agrees to two-year extension

The New England Patriots have agreed to a two-year extension with longtime safety Patrick Chung that will have him under contract in Foxborough through the 2023 season, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

Chung gets $3 million to sign, per Yates, and is now due up to $12.8 million over the next four years.  Chung was already signed through the 2021 season after inking a one-year extension with the team last offseason, but the club did have an out to his contract this offseason where they could have cleared nearly $2 million off their books for 2020.

This deal for New England could kill two birds with one stone as it could potentially free up enough space to sign rookie safety and 2020 second-round pick Kyle Dugger to his rookie contract along with ensuring that the veteran Chung, who’ll be 33 years old by the start of the regular season, will be under Patriots control likely for the rest of his career. 

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Chung has been one of the more reliable and underrated pieces to the Patriots defense, a unit that was the best in the NFL in 2019 by nearly every meaningful measure.

In 13 regular season matches played, he totaled 51 tackles and three passes defended. 

The safety was originally drafted by the Patriots in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft out of Oregon and has spent the large majority of his career in New England (minus a one-year stint with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013).

During this second stint with the Patriots, Chung has really come into his own as Bill Belichick and company have put him in a far better position for success, moving him to the strong/box safety role. 

Chung will be 36 years old by the time this contract is up and has dealt with a number of injuries throughout the course of his career, so it’s uncertain if he’ll actually play to the end of this contract. In fact, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reported on Wednesday that the safety considered retirement before re-upping with the Patriots.

The team did seem to find a potential heir to Chung at the 2020 draft, however, in Dugger, who could be groomed over that time to rise through the ranks in the secondary. 

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Rams safety Eric Weddle announces retirement after 13 season

Safety Eric Weddle’s career has ended after 13 NFL seasons. 

The six-time Pro Bowler announced his retirement Thursday.

Per The Athletic’s Rich Hammond, the Los Angeles Rams will get $4.75 million in cap space back for 2020 and a $500,000 cap credit for 2019. 

Weddle tweeted last month that he underwent his first-ever surgery at age 35. 

Per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the surgery was a meniscus trim, and Weddle’s recovery was estimated to take just weeks. 

The Rams signed Weddle to a two-year contract last March. He started all 16 matches and finished second on the team with 108 combined tackles last season.  Weddle’s NFL career began in 2007 when the San Diego Chargers drafted him No. 37 overall out of Utah. He became a full-time starter in his second season and was a staple of the Chargers secondary for nine years.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

The Baltimore Ravens signed Weddle to a four-year deal after the 2015 season.

The California native started all 48 games during his three years with the team before being released in March 2019. 

In addition to the career accomplishments Weddle listed in his tweet, he also led the NFL with seven interceptions in 2011 and was named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year in each of his final two seasons at Utah. 

“He’s played a lot, had a great career,” Rams coach Sean McVay said after the season. “I’m very thankful and I’ve learned a lot from him.”

A six-time Pro Bowl selection and two-time All-Pro, Weddle finishes his career with 29 interceptions, including four returned for touchdowns, eight forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries, 9.5 sacks and 98 pass deflections.

With the retirement of Weddle — who is also known for his signature beard and ice cream triumph celebrations — the Rams are expected to promote second-year pro Taylor Rapp to a starting role to play alongside John Johnson.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.