Tagged in: scrimmage

Anthony Davis could miss Lakers’ opener with eye injury

The Los Angeles Lakers don’t know how they’ll look in Thursday’s match versus  the Los Angeles Clippers just yet because they’re waiting to find out just how well Anthony Davis can see.

Davis, who was inadvertently poked in the right eye by Michael Carter-Williams during Saturday’s scrimmage versus the Orlando Magic, did not practice Tuesday.

The All-Star big man spent the session in a seat on the sideline while sporting shaded eyewear.

“He’s day-to-day, and while he’s still dealing with discomfort there is some concern that he could potentially not play Thursday,” Lakers coach Frank Vogel said on a video conference. “But we’re hopeful that he does, and we’ll see how that plays out. He’s going to continue to be evaluated each day.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Vogel, who has used the term “discomfort” on several occasions to describe Davis’ situation since Saturday, was asked to elaborate.

Does that mean blurred vision? “I don’t know if I’m allowed to really get into the details of it, other than that’s what they told me to report,” Vogel said. “So that’s all I can give you.”

Davis looked dominant in L.A.’s second scrimmage since reporting to Orlando, putting up nine points and 10 rebounds in limited minutes before exiting the game when Carter-Williams’ hand unintentionally caught Davis’ face while he was swiping for the ball. Davis, an eight-year veteran, averaged 26.7 points, 9.4 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.4 blocks in his inaugural season with the Lakers before the NBA went on hiatus in March.

The Lakers will have to update Davis’ status on Wednesday, according to league rules. The NBA recently told teams in a memo that participation status for every player — detailing an injury, illness or the potential for a rest day — has to be submitted by 5 p.m. ET the day before a game, according to The Undefeated’s Marc Spears.

Vogel’s colloquial use of “day to day” for Davis is not an established status. Teams must choose to designate their players as available, probable, questionable, doubtful or out.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Bucks’ Eric Bledsoe arrives in Orlando after Covid-19 diagnosis

Less than 24 hours before the start of their first scrimmage in Orlando, the Milwaukee Bucks have landed quite the familiar reinforcement.

Starting Bucks point guard Eric Bledsoe joined the squad in Orlando, as confirmed by the Bucks’ very own Twitter account, after previously testing positive for COVID-19, which obviously delayed his initial arrival with the team as they first arrived in Orlando two weeks ago.

For Bledsoe to arrive in Orlando was a big step as that meant producing two consecutive negative tests before he was cleared to join his teammates and the rest of the Bucks’ traveling party. Per the league’s protocol, Bledsoe now must go into quarantine for two days down in Orlando before rejoining his squad in practice sessions.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

That now leaves Pat Connaughton as the only absence for the Bucks going into the restart after he revealed earlier this week that he had also tested positive for COVID-19.

The timeline for Connaughton’s return has yet to be clarified.

While the Bucks wait for Connaughton’s return, the timing of Bledsoe’s arrival really couldn’t have worked out any better for the Bucks as they’re a little over a week out from officially resuming play when they take on the Boston Celtics on July 31.

With his ability to slice into opposing defenses at will while simultaneously offering incredibly strong perimeter defense and check some of the best scoring guards in the league, Bledsoe’s two-way abilities make up a critical component in the Bucks’ formula.

It’s absolutely a refreshing and welcome sight to see Bledsoe rejoin the squad, but also seem happy and healthy following his brush with COVID-19. But the pressure will soon be on Bledsoe and the Bucks overall to finish what they all started.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Yankees’ Aaron Judge out another day with stiff neck

Yankees slugger Aaron Judge was held out of action for a second consecutive day Sunday due to a stiff neck.

The 2017 AL Rookie of the Year was scratched from a simulated match Saturday after waking up with a sore neck, and the right fielder was not included in either lineup for an intrasquad scrimmage Sunday.

New York manager Aaron Boone stated Judge got treatment at Yankee Stadium on Sunday and was improving.

“Just thought it was better not to push through it today,” Boone said.

The Yankees are set to open a pandemic-shortened season July 23 at Washington. Judge was diagnosed with a broken rib in March and used the coronavirus hiatus to recover.

He had been swinging at full strength for at least a couple of weeks before camp opened and had been a full-go in intrasquad action over the past week.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

The 6-foot-7 star has missed time each of the past two campaigns.

He broke his right wrist on a hit-by-pitch in 2018 and went on the injured list for two months last year with a left oblique strain.

When he’s been on the field, Judge has proved himself to be one of the sport’s most complete players, but staying healthy has been an issue the last two seasons. After playing in 155 games in 2017 — when he won AL Rookie of the Year honors going away and finished second in the MVP voting — Judge was limited to 112 games in 2018 and 102 games in 2019 because of different injuries.

Right-hander Masahiro Tanaka played catch Sunday to 100 feet and is ramping up his cardio but remains in concussion protocol. The Japanese starter was hit in the head by Giancarlo Stanton’s 112 mph line drive eight days ago. Boone is still unclear when Tanaka will return to the mound.

Boone said Clint Frazier is expected to resume playing the outfield this week after being limited to designated hitter so far due to plantar fasciitis in his right foot.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Rafael Devers joins Red Sox for summer camp

Rafael Devers didn’t work out with his teammates at Fenway Park for the first week of summer camp because the Red Sox feared he had been exposed to COVID-19.

After three tests came up negative, however, Devers was cleared to return and joined his teammates at Fenway Park on Wednesday afternoon for live batting practice.

He had been working out at Boston College with other possible positive cases, manager Ron Roenicke said, out of an abundance of caution.

“We had some guys that were possibly exposed to somebody with coronavirus,” Roenicke said via Zoom on Wednesday.

“This group has tested negative three times. We will continue to test them, just because we’re being overly cautious. That’s kind of why we’ve separated some of the guys from the later workouts.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Devers hopes to bat in Thursday’s intrasquad scrimmage, Roenicke said, because he’s eager to lock in his timing at the plate versus big league pitching.

If all goes well, he’d likely play third base in Friday’s scrimmage.

“He’s concerned about seeing velocity,” Roenicke stated. “We were able to do that over there with him with the pitching machine in the cage. He’ll do that again and see live BP today, which is helpful, and then if he’s ready for a couple of at-bats, we’ll have him in the intrasquad tomorrow.”

Added Roenicke: “I know with him, he’s a little concerned, because he’s trying to catch up and make sure he’s getting all the work in that he needs.”

There’s no overstating Devers’ significance to the lineup after a breakout 2019 in which he hit .311 with 32 homers, 115 RBIs, and a league-leading 54 doubles and 359 total bases. With Mookie Betts in Los Angeles, Devers is expected to be one of the driving forces in the lineup, alongside Xander Bogaerts and J.D. Martinez.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.