Tagged in: sign

CB Pierre Desir joins Jets a day after Colts cut him

It didn’t take Pierre Desir long to find a new home. A day after the Colts made the somewhat shocking decision to release him, the veteran cornerback agreed to a one-year deal with the New York Jets, according to several reports.

Desir’s landing with the Jets should come as little surprise, given their need for corners and his familiarity with assistant general manager — and former Colts vice president of player personnel — Rex Hogan. In New York, Desir joins a handful of ex-Colts, including Henry Anderson, Tarell Basham, Nate Hariston, Matthias Farley, Jonotthan Harrison and the recently signed Josh Andrews.

Releasing Desir saved the Colts $6.85 million against the salary cap this campaign and leaves no dead money. The move was jarring given that it came only a year after Desir signed a three-year, $22.5 million extension to remain with the Colts. Though he suffered through a rough, injury-plagued 2019 season, he enjoyed a breakout campaign during the Colts’ playoff run in 2018.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Desir was the Colts’ nominee for Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2019. 

A league source told IndyStar Colts Insider Joel A. Erickson that Desir was caught off guard by the Colts’ decision to release him. 

Without Desir, the Colts are both young and thin at cornerback. They have seven corners on the roster, but only Kenny Moore, Quincy Wilson, Rock Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell suited up for the Colts in a game last season. 

Desir played in 12 games, starting 11, and allowed five touchdown passes and a 95.6 passer rating, according to Pro Football Focus.

He broke into the league as a fourth-round pick of the Cleveland Browns in 2014. He played briefly for the Chargers before landing with the Colts in 2017.

Desir has five career interceptions, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Clippers to land bought-out Reggie Jackson

After agreeing to a contract buyout with the Detroit Pistons, guard Reggie Jackson plans to sign with the LA Clippers upon clearing waivers, league sources told ESPN.

Jackson had become the highest-impact player available in the buyout marketplace. Several compatitors had interest in him, but his focus had been on the Clippers in the event he was able to secure a contract buyout, league sources said.

Jackson, 29, will play a significant role on the Clippers’ second unit, where coach Doc Rivers is eager to implement Jackson’s playmaking and scoring abilities on a roster that could be the NBA’s deepest.

Jackson was completing the final season of a five-year, $80 million contract with the Pistons. The Pistons and Jackson’s agent, Aaron Mintz of CAA Sports, completed the buyout terms earlier Tuesday before reaching an agreement with the Clippers on Tuesday afternoon.

Jackson has been a longtime friend of Clippers star Paul George and had long hoped to play with him, sources said.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Jackson has averaged 14.9 points and 5.1 assists in 14 games this season. He missed several weeks to start the season due to a back injury.

In nine NBA campaigns with the Oklahoma City Thunder and Pistons, he has averaged 12.9 points, 4.4 assists and 3.0 rebounds a game. Jackson was a key performer in a backup role to Russell Westbrook and James Harden in Oklahoma City earlier in his career.

Jackson is expected to be one of the top guards available in summer free agency.

The moves leaves just Derrick Rose and Brandon Knight as the teams’ only true point guard options but expect two-way player Jordan Bone to have more of a role down the road.  Also Bruce Brown should see plenty of time once again at PG like he did when Jackson was injured.

This also opens up a potential reunion with Tim Frazier who was released when the team made the two for one deal at the deadline moving Andre Drummond to Cleveland for John Henson and Knight.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Houston Rockets to sign verterans Green, Carroll

The Houston Rockets are keeping busy during the All-Star break, with plans to sign veteran forwards DeMarre Carroll and Jeff Green, according to multiple media reports Monday.

Green, who has been a free agent since Utah Jazz waived him on December 24, is estimated to sign a 10-day contract as early as Tuesday, according to league sources at ESPN.

Sources indicate he will be offered a deal for the rest of the season if he feels comfortable enough to commit to it.

Carroll, who took a buyout from the San Antonio Spurs on Monday after playing only 15 games (averaging 2.2 points, 2.1 rebounds a game), needs to clear waivers before signing with the Rockets.

“I don’t know what went wrong, what happened,” Carroll said via the San Antonio Express-News about his short stint with the Spurs after signing as a free agent last summer.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“I felt like San Antonio was going to be a great place for me, for my talents, but it didn’t work out.”

Carroll, 33, is in his 11th NBA campaign, having started his career with the Memphis Grizzlies in 2009 after they made him a first-round pick in that year’s NBA draft.

During the 2010-11 season, he played for the Rockets, and also had stints with the Denver Nuggets (2011-12), Utah Jazz (2011-13), Atlanta Hawks (2013-15), Toronto Raptors (2015-17) and Brooklyn Nets (2017-19). In 569 career games, he has averaged 9.0 points and 4.3 rebounds.

The six-foot-eight Green, also 33, has career averages of 13.0 points and 4.4 rebounds a game while playing for eight NBA franchises, beginning his 13-year career with the Seattle SuperSonics in 2007-08.

During his time with the franchise that became the Oklahoma City Thunder, Green was team-mates with current Rockets players James Harden and Russell Westbrook. His other stops included the Boston Celtics, Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers, Orlando Magic, Cleveland Cavaliers and Washington Wizards.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Bears land top CFL free agent Tre Roberson

The Bears have made an interesting signing, landing the services of the much sought after CFL cornerback Tre Roberson. He was a hot topic this NFL offseason, a player most critics agreed was the No. 1 CFL free agent. 

Roberson has an interesting background. He originally came up through the ranks as a quarterback, eventually becoming the first true freshman to ever start at quarterback for Indiana University Bloomington.

After transferring to Illinois State and playing the 2014 and 2015 college football seasons with the Red Birds, Roberson turned pro and ultimately went undrafted as an extremely under-the-radar prospect. 

Eventually, the athletic Roberson made the switch to cornerback. He didn’t stick with the Minnesota Vikings after making their roster ahead of the 2016 NFL preseason, being a part of the final round of roster cuts.

He made his way to the Calgary Stampeders in 2018, where he really started to make a name for himself at cornerback.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Roberson has a total of 95 tackles and 10 interceptions over his two campaigns in the CFL, helping lead the Stampeders to a Grey Cup (CFL’s title game) win.

The 27 year old chose the Bears over nine other NFL teams and according to NFL insider Adam Schefter.

The Bears have made their first “splash move” and for the sake of Bears faithful, hopefully, this represents the first of many great additions to the Bears’ roster.    

He had seven interceptions and 41 tackles last season for Calgary, and he scored two touchdowns. Roberson played college ball at Illinois State.

The Bears are expected to give Roberson the largest CFL-to-NFL compensation since the Miami Dolphins signed defensive end Cameron Wake to a reported four-year, $4.9 million deal in 2009.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Reds get OF Nick Castellanos on 4 year deal

Free agent outfielder Nick Castellanos has signed a $64 million, four-year deal with the Cincinnati Reds on Monday.

It was Cincinnati’s latest big-money move to emerge from years of losing.

The deal allows Castellanos to opt out and become a free agent after the 2020 or 2021 campaigns. He gets salaries of $16 million in 2020, $14 million in 2021, and $16 million in 2022 and 2023. There’s a mutual option for 2024 at $20 million with a buyout of $2 million.

It was the fourth significant move by the Reds, among the most active teams in free agency since their sixth straight losing season.

“This is an off-season where we have prioritized adding to the offensive side of the club,” said Dick Williams, the team’s president of baseball operations. “Nick was one of the most attractive options on the market. He has been a consistently elite producer offensively and that complements our existing team well.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

The Reds have has committed $164 million to new players, including the two biggest free agent deals in club history.

Cincinnati signed second baseman Mike Moustakas to a $64 million, four-year contract and added left-handed starter Wade Miley on a $15 million, two-year deal. Outfielder Shogo Akiyama, a five-time NPB All-Star, got a $21 million, three-year deal.

Cincinnati’s biggest weakness last season was offense. The Reds ended near the bottom of the National League in runs despite playing in one of its most hitter-friendly ballparks.

Castellanos batted .289 last season with the Tigers and Cubs, who got him in a midseason trade. He hit 27 homers overall, drove in 73 runs and had a major league-leading 58 doubles while playing mostly in right field for Detroit and Chicago.

Castellanos became only the 10th player with 58 doubles in a season. He has 229 doubles since the start of the 2014 season, tied with Boston’s Mookie Betts for most in the majors over that span.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez out of Sevilla, signs with L.A Galaxy

The Los Angeles Galaxy have signed Javier “Chicharito” Hernández from Sevilla, according to a report from Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl.

According to Wahl, the Galaxy will make Hernández the highest-paid player in Major League Soccer. That distinction is currently held by Toronto FC and USMNT star Michael Bradley, who makes a reported $6 million a year.

The previous highest-paid player in MLS was Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who left the Galaxy in November and re-joined AC Milan. Hernández, whose “Chicharito” nickname was given to him by his father and means “Little Pea”, will be counted on to substitute Ibrahimovic’s star power goal-scoring output.

Hernández has spent nearly a decade playing in Europe since joining Manchester United from Guadalajara in 2010.

He scored 59 goals for United and won two Premier League titles before moving to Bayer Leverkusen in 2015, and he also played for Real Madrid (on loan) and West Ham United before joining Sevilla last summer.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

But he reportedly was told he doesn’t factor into Sevilla’s future plans, and he didn’t train Thursday and was held out of manager Julen Lopetegui’s squad to face Real Madrid this weekend.

The 31-year-old Hernández is the latest international star to sign with the Galaxy, who have counted Ibrahimovic, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Robbie Keane and Ashley Cole among their ranks.

Hernández is also Mexico’s all-time leading scorer with 52 goals in 109 appearances.

The Galaxy had been in negotiations with Hernandez for some time and met with him earlier this week to close the deal. The meeting went well, according to ESPN Mexico and the LA Times, but it took three more days to iron out details.

A report from Spanish newspaper Marca put the transfer fee being negotiated for Chicharito at around $10 million.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Ex Reds Jose Peraza agrees to join Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox bolstered their infield depth Thursday by agreeing to sign Jose Peraza to a one-year contract worth about $3 million plus incentives, per MLB Network’s Jon Heyman.

Peraza made his Major League debut in 2015 with the Los Angeles Dodgers but spent the last four years with the Cincinnati Reds. He batted .239 with six home runs, 33 RBI and a .285 on-base percentage in 141 games during the 2019 season.

His best season came in 2018 when he batted .288 with 14 homers, 58 RBI and a .326 on-base percentage in 157 matches for the Reds. All things considered, Peraza is a good buy-low candidate for the Red Sox, who also could help Boston replace Brock Holt if he departs in free agency.

The 25-year-old infielder brings plenty of positional versatility to the Red Sox. Peraza mostly played second base for Cincinnati this past season, but he also saw time at third base, left field and center field.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Brock Holt seems unlikely to return as the Sox have piled up options for the position.

Candidates include Peraza, Marco Hernandez, Michael Chavis, Jonathan Arauz, who they picked in Thursday’s Rule 5 draft. Dustin Pedroia is also still trying to make a comeback.

At just $3 million, Peraza seems like a low-risk, high-reward option given his potential. He was once ranked the Braves’ top prospect and was named the Braves’ minor league player of the year in 2014.

They traded him to the DOdgers in 2015, when he played in just seven matches before being traded to the Reds. Peraza showed flashes of potential over four years with the Reds, batting .288 with 14 homers, 31 doubles and 58 RBI in 2018. But he regressed offensively in 2019, and he’s still improving defensively.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.