Tagged in: signing

Seattle Seahawks reach deal with running back Carlos Hyde

The Seattle Seahawks and running back Carlos Hyde have reached a settlement on a one-year deal, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Friday.

Hyde, who turns 30 in September, scored six touchdowns and ran for a career-best 1,070 yards on 245 carries for the Houston Texans last campaign and played in all 16 matches for the second time in his career.

However, he and fellow back Lamar Miller both hit free agency, and the Texans went on to acquire David Johnson from the Arizona Cardinals in a blockbuster trade for wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins.

The Seahawks have been searching since early in free agency for a veteran to reinforce their backfield with starter Chris Carson and 2018 first-round pick Rashaad Penny both coming off season-ending injuries.

The Seahawks had offered Devonta Freeman a one-year deal, sources confirmed to ESPN. They moved on to Hyde, who will be an early-down complement to Carson, at least until Penny returns.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Penny is recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL and other damage in his knee he suffered in December.

The Seahawks believe there’s a strong possibility Penny will have to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, in which case he’d have to miss at least the first six matches. Carson (hip) is expected to be ready by Week 1.

The rest of the Seahawks’ backfield is young, another reason why Seattle had been seeking a veteran running back. Behind Carson, Hyde and Penny, the Seahawks have second-year pro Travis Homer and three rookies: fourth-round pick DeeJay Dallas and undrafted free agents Patrick Carr and Anthony Jones.

Marshawn Lynch told ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt earlier this month that his agent had been in talks with the Seahawks about a potential return to Seattle.

The Texans acquired Hyde from the Kansas City Chiefs last year in a trade on cutdown day in exchange for offensive lineman Martinas Rankin. Houston made the move a week after Miller tore his ACL in Houston’s third preseason game.

Over the past three campaigns, Hyde has played for the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars and Texans.

He has 5,079 total yards and 35 total touchdowns in six seasons.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Chargers considered signing Cam Newton

After the Chargers and Philip Rivers split ways, the search for a quarterback started in free agency.

Los Angeles was in the sweepstakes for Tom Brady, but they came up short after he decided to sign with the Buccaneers. Another free agent option was Cam Newton, who was released by the Panthers in March.

Newton was seen as an ideal target for L.A. because his presence would help sell tickets in their new season. However, they passed up on the opportunity to sign the former MVP.

Were the Chargers actually interested in signing Newton? Coach Anthony Lynn said that the team did contemplate it. “Absolutely, Cam is a tremendous quarterback,” Lynn said on a recent CBS Sports interview.

“He’s been MVP of this league, he’s led his team to the Super Bowl and he’s healthy now from what I hear. Cam is going to be on somebody’s roster and he’s going to help somebody win a few games, but yeah, we did take a look at that, sure.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Los Angeles ended up drafting former Oregon product Justin Herbert with the No. 6 overall selection in this year’s draft with the hopes of him being the long-term solution at the position.

Prior to Herbert being selected, Lynn was already confident with the quarterbacks that were already on the roster.

“I feel really good about the quarterback room that I have,” Lynn said. “With Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick — those are guys that a lot of people don’t talk about, but he was a Division I AA — he won like three national championships. He’s a hell of a leader, hell of a professional and I think he has a bright future in this league one day.”

While the Chargers quarterback room is set, Newton remains a free agent. Lynn trusts that he will be signed in 2020 by a team.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Newcastle owners want Pochettino, Cavani

The prospective new owners of Newcastle United will be targeting a big name manager and a marquee signing if/when they take over the club.

That’s according to ESPN, who report that Saudi-backed consortium PCP Capital Partners are interested in replacing current manager Steve Bruce with either previous Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino or ex-Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri.

While Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani is reportedly one of their big name transfer targets.

Reports earlier in the week proposed Bruce will be given time to prove his worth, but ESPN claim the potential new owners want a bigger name in charge and as well as Pochettino and Allegri, former Toon boss Rafael Benítez and Borussia Dortmund’s Lucien Favre are also on the list of potential candidates.

But Pochettino is understood to be their prime target, and there are hopes that the Argentine tactician could be lured to St James’ Park if they are able to enlist one or two top level players.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Cavani is out of contract this summer, while contact has reportedly also been made with the agents of Napoli forward Dries Mertens and Chelsea winger Willian.

Paperwork is presently being completed after an agreement was found on Monday between Mike Ashley and PCP Capital Partners, and an official notice regarding the sale of the club is expected soon.

Both parties have exchanged contracts and a deposit has been paid, but the new owners will then need to pass the Premier League’s Owners and Directors test before the takeover can be completed.

Assuming that goes through, the £300m to buy the club will then be transferred.

Yasir Al Rumayyan, a close friend of Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, will be the Magpies’ new chairman.

Chek WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Inter complete Eriksen signing from Tottenham

Christian Eriksen has completed his protracted €20m (£16.9m) move from Tottenham Hotspur to Inter. The Dane had already agreed personal terms with the Italian club, who are second in Serie A, and the deal was announced on Tuesday. The 27-year-old has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract.

With his contract at Tottenham expiring at the end of the season, Eriksen could have joined Inter for free in the summer. But with Antonio Conte keen to bolster his attacking options right away, a deal was reached sooner, bringing to an end the midfielder’s largely fruitful but ultimately frustrating time in north London.

Spurs announced on Tuesday that they had signed Giovani Lo Celso on a permanent basis from Real Betis. The Argentinian, who has impressed recently after returning from injury, has signed a contract until 2025.

The fee is understood to be €35m and Tottenham waited until Eriksen’s move had been done before confirming Lo Celso’s signing.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

The club have also agreed a fee of €30m for the PSV Eindhoven winger Steven Bergwijn, plus €2m in add-ons, with the player set to undertake his medical and put the finishing touches to the deal.

Eriksen joined Tottenham from Ajax for £11.5m in August 2013 and after an initially slow start he blossomed under the management of Mauricio Pochettino, become a key creative cog in a team that established themselves in the Premier League’s top four and, on occasion, pushed for the title.

The 27-year-old was also part of the Spurs side that reached last season’s Champions League final, which they lost 2-0 to Liverpool and, ultimately, there were no trophies for the team when they were at their best and prior to a downturn this season that led to Pochettino being released in November.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Mets, reliever Dellin Betances agree to one year deal

The New York Mets have reached an agreement with free-agent reliever Dellin Betances on a one-year contract with a player option for 2021.

The Mets announced the deal with the four-time All Star on Tuesday. The deal is worth $10.5 million, but Betances could earn $13 million if he appears in 70 games. There is a player option in 2021 and a vesting player option for 2022, sources told ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

The 31-year-old, who is from New York, is staying in his hometown after spending his first eight seasons in the majors with the Yankees.

He missed most of 2019 because of injuries. Betances’ season ended after just eight pitches. He tore an Achilles tendon in his first appearance back from a lat injury that had sidelined him since spring training.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Betances was the first reliever in baseball history to have 100 or more strikeouts in five consecutive seasons (2014-2018). The right-hander led all major league relievers in strikeouts in each year from 2014-2016.

“Dellin is one of the elite relievers in the game with an incredible track record of pitching on the biggest stage and in playoff games,” Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said in a statement.

In 2018, Betances made 66 appearances, with a 2.70 ERA and 115 strikeouts in 66 2/3 innings. He has made nine career playoff appearances, with a 3.27 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 11 innings.

“I love New York,” Betances said. “I grew up in Manhattan. Went to high school in Brooklyn. Played minor league ball in Staten Island. Made it to the big leagues in the Bronx. Now, I’m excited to go win a World Series with the Mets in Queens.”

To make room on the 40-man roster, the Mets designated infielder Sam Haggerty for assignment.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Jose Abreu agrees to 3 year deal with White Sox

First baseman Jose Abreu has agreed to a three-year, $50 million extension to stay with the Chicago White Sox through the 2022 season.

The club announced Friday that the 32-year-old will receive a $5 million signing bonus and will see an increase in salary as the contract progresses.

Abreu will have a full no-trade clause in 2020 and a limited one in 2021, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

Abreu was scheduled to be a free agent this winter, but Chicago’s decision to extend a qualifying offer could have affected his market, as any team that signed him would have had to surrender a draft pick. Rather than deal with an unclear market, he accepted the one-year, $17.8 million deal.

Under terms of the new contract, Abreu will have an $11 million base salary in 2020. Since signing a six-year, $68 million deal in October 2013, Abreu has been a force in the White Sox lineup. He has hit 22-plus home runs in all six of his big league seasons, and he has driven in 100-plus runs five times.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

He is coming off a season in which he slashed .284/.330/.503 with an .834 OPS, piling up 33 home runs and an American League-best 123 RBI. He also earned his third career All-Star selection.

Abreu was the 2014 AL Rookie of the Year and has a pair of Silver Slugger Awards on his resume.

Not only that, but he has also received AL MVP votes four times, receiving both a seventh- and 10th-place vote this year.

As productive as Abreu has been with the bat, the White Sox have not made the postseason since 2008. They made a 10-win jump this past season as they went 72-89. Their third-place result in the AL Central is their best finish since 2012.

Abreu’s extension marks the second lucrative contract the White Sox have handed out in as many days. Chicago signed two-time All-Star catcher Yasmani Grandal to a four-year, $73 million deal Thursday, the biggest free-agent contract in franchise history.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.