Tagged in: this year

Kyle Hendricks to once again start on Opening Day for Chicago Cubs

Chicago Cubs manager David Ross selected Kyle Hendricks to start on Opening Day last year, and it worked out quite well.

He sees no reason to make a modification this year.

Ross announced Tuesday that Hendricks will get the ball when the Cubs start the season versus Pittsburgh on April 1 at Wrigley Field. The right-hander tossed a three-hitter in a 3-0 triumph over Milwaukee on Opening Day last summer.

“I feel like we’ve got a lot of talent,” Ross said. “I feel like Kyle, his resume, his leadership, his poise, all that goes into being the Opening Day starter, just the extra, kind of, pomp and circumstance that goes with Opening Day, especially this coming year as well, every arrow points to Kyle.”

Ross said he wasn’t ready to announce the order for the rest of his starting pitchers. Chicago also has Jake Arrieta and Zach Davies, and Trevor Williams, Alec Mills, Adbert Alzolay and Shelby Miller are in the mix for the last two spots.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

But there is no question about the leader of the rotation, especially after the Cubs traded Yu Darvish to San Diego in December.

The 31-year-old Hendricks, known for his precision, control and professor-like demeanor, is making his second Opening Day start.

He went 6-5 with a 2.88 ERA in 12 starts during the pandemic-shortened season, helping Chicago win the NL Central.

The opener versus the Pirates will be the first match at Wrigley with a crowd since Sept. 22, 2019. The Cubs have been cleared for as many as 8,274 fans per game at the beginnig of the season.

Hendricks has been a steady presence for Chicago since his big league debut in 2014. The Dartmouth graduate is 69-48 with a 3.12 ERA in 175 career games.

He had his best year in 2016, going 16-8 with a major league-low 2.13 ERA. Hendricks, an eighth-round pick in the 2011 amateur draft, was acquired by Chicago in the July 2012 trade that sent Ryan Dempster to Texas.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Fury says he may not face Wilder in next fight

WBC world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury says he’s “moved on” from confronting Deontay Wilder for a third time.

“I was looking forward to smashing Wilder again. A quick and easy fight,” Fury told The Athletic. “But Wilder and his team were messing around with the date. They don’t really want to fight the lineal heavyweight champion. They know how it ends. The world knows how it will end: with Wilder on his ass again.”

Fury was originally expected to face Wilder in a third encounter between the pair at Allegiant Stadium, the home of the NFL’s Las Vegas Raiders, on Dec. 19.

But with no crowd due to restrictions for the coronavirus pandemic, promoters and broadcasters have yet to inform plans for the trilogy fight.

Fury also stated Wilder’s side kept moving back the date. “Then they asked me if I would agree to push it to December. I agreed to Dec. 19,” Fury said. “Then they tried to change the date again into next year. I’ve been training. I’m ready. When they tried moving off Dec. 19 and pushing to next year, enough was enough. I’ve moved on.”

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs), 32, from Manchester, England, wants to box again this year after stopping Wilder in seven rounds in February.

Wilder (41-1-1, 40 KOs), 34, from Alabama and who drew with Fury in December 2018 in their first fight, is contractually entitled to a rematch, but Warren says if a third fight cannot be prepared with Fury in December, then the Englishman will fight someone else.

One option for Fury would be to box an alternative opponent — and possibly without the titles on the line — at the Royal Albert Hall in London on Dec. 5, when Warren will stage a show featuring English light heavyweight Anthony Yarde and Lyndon Arthur.

If Fury passes on Wilder, it opens up the opportunity of a world title unification fight in 2021 versus English rival Anthony Joshua, the WBA-IBF-WBO world champion, who will defend his titles against Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev on Dec. 12.

Warren also said rival world junior welterweight champions Josh Taylor (WBA-IBF) of Scotland and Jose Ramirez (WBC-WBO) of the United States will face each other next. Ramirez’s WBO mandatory challenger, Jack Catterall, has agreed to wait to face the winner of Taylor-Ramirez, according to Warren.

And American Jamel Herring will defend his WBO world junior lightweight title versus Northern Ireland’s Carl Frampton, a former world champion at featherweight and junior featherweight, before the end of the year, according to the British promoter.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.