Tagged in: trevor bauer

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has administrative leave extended through Aug. 13

The administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer was extended a fourth time on Thursday, this time by an extra seven days through Aug. 13, according to a league official.

A civil hearing for the temporary restraining order that was acquired against Bauer will start three days after that in L.A. Superior Court. The hearing, which was twice granted a continuance at the request of Bauer’s legal team, is scheduled for Aug. 16-19. That means Bauer’s leave might have to be extended at least once more, unless MLB or the City of Pasadena (California) Police Department wrap up their investigations before then.

MLB can unilaterally place a player on administrative leave for up to seven days under a joint domestic violence policy, but it must obtain consent by the MLB Players Association thereafter. Bauer hasn’t been with the Dodgers since initially being placed on leave July 2.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Bauer, 30, has been accused by a woman of choking her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters earlier this year, according to a domestic violence restraining order that was filed in L.A. County Superior Court on June 28, copies of which were obtained by ESPN.

The temporary restraining order was executed ex parte, which can be attained without input from the other party.

Bauer’s side has strongly denied the allegations of sexual assault, calling the interactions between him and the woman “wholly consensual” and saying in a prior statement that Bauer “vehemently denies her account of their two meetings.”

The initial hearing to decide whether the temporary restraining order would become permanent took place July 23 and was delayed an additional six business days after Bauer’s attorneys demanded more time to prepare a defense against witnesses and exhibits they claimed to not have received until the night before the hearing. A continuance was obtained once again on July 29.

Bauer attended the initial hearing, as did the woman. Bauer’s legal team told the judge that it has advised him not to testify, given the ongoing investigation, but the petitioner’s side stated that he must nonetheless take the stand, even if he invokes his Fifth Amendment right not to answer questions. Both sides will call a total of up to 10 witnesses.

The Dodgers, who traded for Max Scherzer last week and signed Cole Hamels on Wednesday, have canceled Bauer’s bobblehead night and have removed all of his merchandise from the team and online stores, saying they “did not feel it was appropriate” given the investigations.

Bauer, the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner as a member of the Cincinnati Reds, joined the Dodgers with a record-setting three-year, $102 million contract in February that incorporates two opt-out clauses.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has administrative leave extended to July 27

The administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has been extended by nearly two weeks to July 27, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

The move pushes Bauer’s leave past a scheduled July 23 hearing for a domestic violence restraining order filed by a woman in L.A. County Superior Court.

Major League Baseball and the Pasadena Police Department are conducting separate investigations into Bauer after the woman said in the order that he choked her until she lost consciousness on multiple occasions, punching her in several areas of her body and leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization over the course of two sexual encounters this year, the last of which happened on May 16 at Bauer’s Pasadena, California, home.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Bauer’s representatives issued a statement denying that Bauer had assaulted the woman, calling the encounters “wholly consensual.”

Bauer is required to attend next week’s hearing, but he has the right to not testify on his own behalf.

It’s the third time Bauer’s leave has been extended; the first two times were by seven-day increments. The Major League Baseball Players Association also needed to provide consent for the leave to be extended.

If the MLBPA hadn’t consented to another extension, the league would have faced a difficult decision of either letting Bauer back on the active roster while criminal charges are being investigated or prematurely handing out punishment.

While on leave, Bauer continues to get paid by the Dodgers, from whom he is receiving around $1.5 million per week.

The Dodgers previously canceled Bauer’s bobblehead night, arranged for Aug. 19, and have removed his merchandise from team and online stores, saying they “did not feel it was appropriate” given the investigations.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom headed to IL with tightness in right side

Jacob deGrom will be placed on the injured list by the New York Mets with tightness in his right side, a move that will keep the ace from taking the mound until May 20 at the earliest.

The Mets stated an MRI on Sunday night was “clean of any issues.” The team said it will place deGrom on the injured list before Tuesday’s series opener versus Baltimore, a move that will be retroactive to Monday.

A 32-year-old right-hander, deGrom is 3-2 with a major-league-best 0.68 ERA and 65 strikeouts, two K’s behind Trevor Bauer of the Los Angeles Dodgers for the NL lead. DeGrom has seven walks in 40 innings over six starts.

He pulled himself from Sunday’s outing versus Arizona, his first appearance after skipping a start due to discomfort in his right latissimus dorsi, a back muscle that connects the upper arm to the spine and the hip.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

The two-time NL Cy Young Award winner threw 68 pitches over five innings against Arizona, premitting one run, but he called for trainer Brian Chicklo when he felt tightness trying to get loose before the sixth. He left with Chicklo and went straight to the clubhouse.

DeGrom struck out six and allowed one hit.

He was perfect through four innings before struggling in the fifth, when he allowed a run and walked three in an inning for just the second time in his big league career, the first having been May 13, 2018, at Philadelphia. He left after one inning in that game, his return from the injured list.

DeGrom is baseball’s hardest-throwing starting pitcher, with 79 pitches of 100 mph or higher since the start of the 2020 season, according to MLB Statcast data. Miami’s Sixto Sanchez is second with 13.

Of those, deGrom reached 100 mph 42 times in the first inning alone. Sanchez is second with eight. New York said it will reveal a corresponding roster move Tuesday.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Trevor Bauer says he is ‘committed to being better’ in Los Angeles Dodgers introduction

The Los Angeles Dodgers’ landmark agreement with Trevor Bauer has been met with clear reservation, and in some instances disdain, by some of the team’s fans, none of which includes his projected on-field performance.

Bauer’s boundless social media activity includes instances that have prompted accusations of online bullying, two of which involved women who became subject to harassment by Bauer’s followers. He has made an anti-transgender joke — something he subsequently denied doing consciously — and has dismissed sensitivities around the Cleveland Indians’ logo, prompting questions about his fit within a liberal market and inside a tight-knit clubhouse that has become increasingly socially conscious.

Bauer, signed to a three-year, $102 million contract with opt-outs throughout, said Thursday that he is evolving.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

“All the conversations I’ve had with people across all walks of life over the last couple of years and all the things I’ve learned — I can say that I have learned from those,” Bauer stated after being presented with his No. 27 jersey during a virtual news conference from Dodger Stadium.

“I’ve spent a lot of time talking to other people to try to understand other perspectives, and I’m doing my best to be better, as I do in all walks of my life. I don’t think that it makes any sense to dive into specific issues in this forum, but I am committed to being better on social media, being better on the field, being better in the clubhouse, being better in life in general.”

Bauer said joining the Dodgers was “a long time coming” and recalled how he used to sit in the left-field bleachers listening to Vin Scully on the radio. Adding Bauer will push the Dodgers well past the 2021 luxury-tax threshold, but Friedman said it would not impact the team’s ability to re-sign Justin Turner or add another right-handed hitter.

The move marks only the second time that a reigning Cy Young Award winner has joined the reigning World Series champions, the other being Roger Clemens with the New York Yankees in 1999.

Bauer probably won’t fulfill his desire to pitch every fourth day, but he’ll join a starting rotation that is legitimately seven-deep, with Clayton Kershaw, Walker Buehler, David Price, Julio Urias, Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.

Trevor Bauer rejects Cincinnati Reds’ qualifying offer, but open to return

Free-agent right-hander Trevor Bauer has rejected the Cincinnati Reds’ $18.9 million qualifying offer for the 2021 campaign, agent Rachel Luba revealed on Twitter.

Luba, however, said Bauer remains open to discussing a return to Cincinnati and “all other interested teams thru Free Agency.”

“Why wait for the QO to expire to state the obvious,” agent Rachel Luba tweeted Wednesday. She added that Bauer “believes the QO is a ridiculous process so let’s just put it to bed.”

Bauer, 29, who went 5-4 with a National League-leading 1.73 ERA in 11 starts last season and is a finalist for the NL Cy Young Award, was one of six players in Major League Baseball to receive the qualifying offer.

His salary in 2020 was $17.5 million. If Bauer signs with another team, the Reds will receive draft-pick compensation in the 2021 draft.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets.

Players have until Nov. 11 to decide whether to accept the qualifying offer.

In nine campaigns, Bauer is 75-64 with a 3.90 ERA. Drafted No. 3 overall by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2011, he was traded to Cleveland in a three-team deal in 2012 and spent seven seasons with the Indians before he was traded to the Reds in 2019.

Because of pandemic-related penny-pinching, Bauer is unlikely to land a contract on par with Gerrit Cole (nine years, $324 million) or Stephen Strasburg (seven years, $245 million). FanGraphs crowdsourcing projects a three-year deal worth $29 million per year for Bauer. I think five years is possible. If he indeed takes one year, it could come in as high as $35 million. Maybe more.

The Reds presently have approximately $103 million on the books for nine players next season, plus $21.2 million in projected arbitration salaries for another nine players.

Last year’s $166 million full season payroll would’ve been a franchise record, and with payrolls set to come down following the pandemic, it’s uncertain whether Cincinnati can afford to keep Bauer.

Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site.