Tennis can be played as a sport or as a recreational activity with friends and family. Either way, playing tennis is a good sport to maintain your health, fitness, strength and agility. It has been calculated that an hour-long game of singles tennis burns around 600 calories for men and 420 calories for women.
Here are the facts:
- People who participate in tennis 3 hours per week (at moderately vigorous intensity) cut their risk of death in half from any cause, according to physician Ralph Paffenbarger who studied over 10,000 people over a period of 20 years.2. Tennis players scored higher in vigor, optimism and self-esteem while scoring lower in depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and tension than other athletes and non-athletes according to Dr. Joan Finn and colleagues at Southern Connecticut State University.
3. Since tennis requires alertness and tactical thinking, it may generate new connections between nerves in the brain and thus promote a lifetime of continuing development of the brain, reported scientists at the University of Illinois.
4. Tennis outperforms golf, inline skating and most other sports in developing positive personality characteristics according to Dr. Jim Gavin, author of The Exercise Habit.
5. Competitive tennis burns more calories than aerobics, inline skating, or cycling, according to studies on caloric expenditures.
Check WagerWeb and find the best online betting site!!!!
Health benefits of tennis
Tennis can be a great workout and lots of fun. Playing tennis has many health benefits including:
- increasing aerobic capacities
- lowering resting heart rate and blood pressure
- improving metabolic function
- increasing bone density
- lowering body fat
- improving muscle tone, strength and flexibility
- increasing reaction times.
Other benefits of tennis
As well as being a great physical workout, tennis is also:
- a non-impact sport
- a great way to meet people and spend time with friends
- suitable for all ages and skill levels. Whatever your level, you can find someone of a similar ability to play with
- helpful to reduce stress
- not dependent on youth or strength – you can play for a lifetime or start the game at any age
- played all over Australia and through many parts of the world.
Is it any wonder that scientists and physicians around the world view tennis as the most healthful activity in which you can participate? There may be other sports that can provide excellent health benefits and some which can provide mental and emotional growth. But no sport other than tennis has ever been acclaimed from all disciplines as one that develops great benefits physically, mentally and emotionally.
Things to remember
- Tennis is a good sport for maintaining health, fitness, strength and agility. It also has social and psychological benefits.
- You can play with a club or with friends and family as a social activity.
- Make sure you have plenty of fluids on hand and rehydrate regularly.
- Don’t overdo it. Mix up your physical activity with other low-impact sports.
Sources: (betterhealth.vic.gov.au) – (usta.com)